Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 08:04 AM
basicstrategy777
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'20, '21,'22, '23

Default Best way to remove Rear mirror/chrome letters

I have a 2000 corvette and want to remove the chrome/mirror letters that are now on the rear and replace them with new stick on mirror letters.

What is the easiest/best way to remove the letters now on the car ?

What is the best way to prepare the surface to accept the new letters ?

Thanks.

Old 08-11-2014, 05:34 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

3M 8984 adhesive remover.

Make sure your car is NOT in the sun and the paint is cool to the touch.
Apply the adhesive remover and you may need to do this several times until it gets between the tape and the paint and begins to release the letters.

Wipe the area clean with the 8984 and reapply your new letters.

DISCLAIMER:
I can not be held responsible for any problems in using this product. I do not know if your car has been painted and actually if you follow the suggestions. If you are too aggressive in pulling the letters...if the car has been painted...it can pull paint due to improper prepping when the car was repainted.

DUB
Old 08-12-2014, 10:27 AM
basicstrategy777
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Wow.......58 views and you were the only one to respond. Must have been a tough question.

I thank you for the response DUB. I won't hold you responsible if I mess up my car, no matter what.

Is this 8984 a liquid and can I get it at an auto store like pep-boys ?

I was also told to use a hair dryer to loosen the adhesive......can I use both or would you recommend one over the other. When the letters are removed, should I use alcohol to clean the area where the new letters are to go ?

I should get the new letters today and will let you know how it goes once it is all done. I realize this is an extraordinarily minor 'project' but I want to do it right and have it come out as best it can.

Old 08-12-2014, 07:43 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by basicstrategy777
Wow.......58 views and you were the only one to respond. Must have been a tough question.

I thank you for the response DUB. I won't hold you responsible if I mess up my car, no matter what.

Is this 8984 a liquid and can I get it at an auto store like pep-boys ?

I was also told to use a hair dryer to loosen the adhesive......can I use both or would you recommend one over the other. When the letters are removed, should I use alcohol to clean the area where the new letters are to go ?

I should get the new letters today and will let you know how it goes once it is all done. I realize this is an extraordinarily minor 'project' but I want to do it right and have it come out as best it can.

Yes...the 8984 is a liquid.

More like a NAPA or a paint and body supply store will carry it. I doubt Pep boys will carry it. It is kinda unique and not in the mainstream public access stores.

Heat can soften the tape...but I am not looking at your car so I do not know for sure. I can use my heat gun and get them off really quick...BUT I deal with stuff like this and have done this numerous times...so this is NOT my first RODEO...BUT...it is your first time at doing this...so I am being cautious on what to tell you to do. Look at it like this...for example. You need a tree cut down...and you want to know how to do it. I tell you to use an ax ...and you know how to do that after being instructed....BUT...someone tells you to use a chainsaw...and when you do...you cut off your leg when using it because you did not understand how to SAFELY use it.

It may take a bit more time....but the downside if you try to hurry it up and screw something up...You will wish you had listened. Many people wish they can turn back time and do 'things' over again when they chose to do it differently than instructed and botch it all up.

Let the adhesive remove start to soften the tape...and with something like a cut out piece of a plastic milk jug...CAREFULLY slide it under your letters and see if you can begin to wedge it up...and keep applying the adhesive remover.

DUB
Old 08-13-2014, 07:43 AM
basicstrategy777
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks DUB....appreicate you taking the time and the info.

Old 08-13-2014, 06:02 PM
DUB
Race Director

Thanks DUB....appreicate you taking the time and the info.

Just trying to help and reduce any potential problems. That's all.

DUB
Old 08-14-2014, 10:38 AM
basicstrategy777
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Got the letters off with a pick ( no remover or gun ).

Seemed like additional 'stickum' was used to stick on the letters. I'm wondering if I should do the same ( or just rely on adhesive thats on the letters ).

I think the part I was dreading most is done.

This body work is a piece of cake.

Old 08-14-2014, 07:00 PM
DUB
Race Director

Got the letters off with a pick ( no remover or gun ).

Seemed like additional 'stickum' was used to stick on the letters. I'm wondering if I should do the same ( or just rely on adhesive thats on the letters ).

I think the part I was dreading most is done.

This body work is a piece of cake.

Hard to say because I can not see what you have for tape on the letters currently. It depends on how thick the double sided tape it that they put on the letters and how well they fit when you test fit them.

This is when heat is your friend. Having the letter area on the bumper cover in the sun and warmed up well...and also letting the letters get warm....will aid int the adhesive sticking better....BUT ...that is assuming that you thoroughly cleaned the area so no oil, wax and 'whatever' may be in the letter area and inhibit adhesion.

In most cases ...the tape is 'pressure sensitive'...meaning that you want to apply a even good pressure to the letters to get the tape to compress and stick to the paint....due to the double sided tape is normally a bit 'spongy'...and will allow this....which is why I mentioned how thick the tape is.

If they used a tape that is NOT thick...Then the fit of the letter is CRITICAL....and may or may not allow ALL of the adhesive to contact the bumper and stick and stay.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Best way to remove Rear mirror/chrome letters

Quick Reply: Best way to remove Rear mirror/chrome letters