Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Damaged Breathless duct and rocker... Opinions Needed.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 02:19 PM
Trey33088
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Damaged Breathless duct and rocker... Opinions Needed.

Hello all! I'm a bit new to the forum, spent a bit of time lurking. Anyway, getting to the point of the topic...

Driving home from Nevada to Washington, I went to pass a line of cars on a long country highway in Oregon. Two lanes, with half lane shoulders, and gravel and small tumble bushes on the sides between road and ditch.

As I'm passing, a little brown Volvo decides he wants to pass without checking his mirror and cuts me off, while I'm traveling at a high rate of speed in order to pass. (the whole line of cars is doing about 65)

I took the shoulder as I braked in order to not rearend him, but with not enough room on the road I was using the shoulder and the gravel for a lane to slow down in.

The result of this madness: all the bushes and gravel ate my rockers and breathless duct.

The duct is chewed up in 3 spots; in the process of removing the protective vinyl from the duct, even more paint came off in flakes and layers. Underneath, the fiberglass just aft of the frame saver is chewed up.

Also, the paint underneath doesn't seem adhered to rocker. Where its chipped, I can slide a razor underneath good paint and the rocker. It's covering it, but not sticking to it.

Corner chewed up, race mesh damaged, paint peeling off.

This is more from bushes than gravel. There was a whole bush roots and all still lodged in there when I pulled over.

Start of the gravel eating the duct.

Road rash on rocker.

I'm decent at fiberglass, and I can set and shape bondo. When it comes to paint, I'm not that good though.

I'm thinking about taking it in to get a repair quote, just don't have to time for a few days.

What is your opinions on fixing it? Does it look fixable at home, with time and patience? Or should I take it to a pro and have them repair it?

Last edited by Trey33088; 08-05-2014 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Change title.
Old 08-06-2014, 05:54 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

You can repair this. From the photo's you posted....and what I can see in the photo's....it is repairable.

Just time and patience EXCEPT for the previous painter not prepping the panel and allowing the paint to easily peel off of it.

DUB

Quick Reply: Damaged Breathless duct and rocker... Opinions Needed.