Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Hairline cracks on a 63 SWC repair

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 09:36 PM
jackson 63
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hairline cracks on a 63 SWC repair

I have a 63 SWC that I stripped in preparation for painting. The body is in good shape but it does have several hairline cracks. Not real sure how to fix them or what products to use for the repair. Is there a good web site or video for this?
I have Ecklers catalog, they sell some fiberglass repair materials, are they the best to use? Thanks
Old 08-05-2014, 08:02 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by jackson 63
I have a 63 SWC that I stripped in preparation for painting. The body is in good shape but it does have several hairline cracks. Not real sure how to fix them or what products to use for the repair. Is there a good web site or video for this?
I have Ecklers catalog, they sell some fiberglass repair materials, are they the best to use? Thanks
The LOCATION of these hairline cracks means everything on how they need to be repaired. Each crack has its own 'personality' and when it is prepped and depending on where it is located is what dictates to me on how I have to repair it. NOT all hairline /stress cracks have to be laminated with fiberglass resin and mat.

Not knowing where you live (City, state, country)....and if your town has a paint and body supply shop....I use products that Ecklers does not sell....that I feel are superior..but that is just my views on that.

I can not advise on any video or such to show you how to repair your problems...because like I wrote...it all depends.... and watching a video may leave out key information that could apply to your situation.

DUB
Old 08-07-2014, 10:13 PM
jackson 63
Instructor

Hi Dub,
I was hoping you would reply. I live near Minneapolis Minnesota, if you could tell me what to buy I am sure I could find it in this area. I have a few contacts in the paint and body work industry.
Most of my cracks are around the windows, headlight area and some on the hood by the indentations for the grills.
I also had blisters along the top feature line in my last paint job that I did. I think it might have been caused by too much paint. But I am not sure. It was a laquer job.
Anyway thanks for the help. I could send some pictures.
Take care, John
Old 08-08-2014, 05:43 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by jackson 63
Hi Dub,
I was hoping you would reply. I live near Minneapolis Minnesota, if you could tell me what to buy I am sure I could find it in this area. I have a few contacts in the paint and body work industry.
Most of my cracks are around the windows, headlight area and some on the hood by the indentations for the grills.
I also had blisters along the top feature line in my last paint job that I did. I think it might have been caused by too much paint. But I am not sure. It was a laquer job.
Anyway thanks for the help. I could send some pictures.
Take care, John
John,
I will be glad to help and I do need to see photos. Either post them on this post or PM me ...and I will PM you back with my e-mail.

DUB
Old 08-10-2014, 11:59 AM
jackson 63
Instructor

Dub, thanks in advance for helping me with my body work. The cracks are very small. its hard to catch your fingernail on them. My last paint job I thought the lacquer paint would bridge them. It did not. I am using something other than lacquer this time. What do you suggest? Thanks John

1963 Corvette - 1/2 stripped

Cracks in the corner

More cracks in the corner
Old 08-10-2014, 12:01 PM
jackson 63
Instructor

Two cracks one on top and one on side.
Old 08-10-2014, 06:03 PM
DUB
Race Director

I PM'd you.

DUB
Old 09-02-2014, 11:34 PM
Willysracer
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1962 Cracks

Originally Posted by DUB
I PM'd you.

DUB
Hello DUB,

Would you mind sharing the info you sent. I have the same situation.

Thanks, Skip
Old 09-03-2014, 05:36 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by Willysracer
Hello DUB,

Would you mind sharing the info you sent. I have the same situation.

Thanks, Skip
I PM'd you also.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Hairline cracks on a 63 SWC repair

Quick Reply: Hairline cracks on a 63 SWC repair