Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

C5 Bumper Cover Cracked (pix)

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 04:55 PM
jcgunn
Melting Slicks

Received 277 Likes on 184 Posts

Default C5 Bumper Cover Cracked (pix)

So, a road gator jumped up and hit my front bumper cover pretty hard. Once I cleaned up the rubber, I could see that it was cracked all the way thru. I have matching paint and clear. What product do I want to use to fix the crack?)

Thanks

Last edited by jcgunn; 08-03-2014 at 07:30 PM.
Old 08-03-2014, 06:34 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I like to use the LORD FUSOR products....BUT...I will also write that I hate nothing more than repairing urethane bumpers.

They are very touchy and because it do this for a living...I have to warranty my work. SO...if you came into my shop...for example...and wanted me to fix it...I WOULD NOT.

The reason being....the bumper flexes and the amount of time and effort, materials I would have to put into it to get it PERFECT and have it LAST...so you NEVER came back and complained about it...is 'borderline' in what it would be to replace it. I am NOT a production repair shop....so I think quite differently that shops that are all about speed and getting cars out.

Knowing that the bumper cover would need to come off for a proper repair...or should come off...so you can get to the backside and patch it for strength...that element of the repair is a constant.

I know many body guys who would just fix it and let it roll down the road.....but I have customers who keep their Corvettes for a long time....unlike most cars out there that are 'throw-aways'

The stressed /cracked paint that I can see in your photo does not concern me but what it does is increase the size of the repair. AND if you do this...on the cheap...just remember this. Urethane bumpers or parts made of urethane DO NOT LIKE SOLVENTS being wiped on them when they are raw or bare. All of the products I have FOR PREP and CLEANING are water based and SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED JUST FOR urethane repair...which I do...but like I wrote...i HATE IT when I HAVE TO due to an insurance claim....which I FIGHT LIKE crazy to get a new part if at all possible.

DUB
Old 08-03-2014, 07:29 PM
jcgunn
Melting Slicks

Received 277 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
I like to use the LORD FUSOR products....BUT...I will also write that I hate nothing more than repairing urethane bumpers.

They are very touchy and because it do this for a living...I have to warranty my work. SO...if you came into my shop...for example...and wanted me to fix it...I WOULD NOT.

The reason being....the bumper flexes and the amount of time and effort, materials I would have to put into it to get it PERFECT and have it LAST...so you NEVER came back and complained about it...is 'borderline' in what it would be to replace it. I am NOT a production repair shop....so I think quite differently that shops that are all about speed and getting cars out.

Knowing that the bumper cover would need to come off for a proper repair...or should come off...so you can get to the backside and patch it for strength...that element of the repair is a constant.

I know many body guys who would just fix it and let it roll down the road.....but I have customers who keep their Corvettes for a long time....unlike most cars out there that are 'throw-aways'

The stressed /cracked paint that I can see in your photo does not concern me but what it does is increase the size of the repair. AND if you do this...on the cheap...just remember this. Urethane bumpers or parts made of urethane DO NOT LIKE SOLVENTS being wiped on them when they are raw or bare. All of the products I have FOR PREP and CLEANING are water based and SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED JUST FOR urethane repair...which I do...but like I wrote...i HATE IT when I HAVE TO due to an insurance claim....which I FIGHT LIKE crazy to get a new part if at all possible.

DUB
Thanks for the response...ARGH! I guess that's why the quality shop who took care of me years ago when the rear cover was damaged by some chowder-head insisted on replacing and re-painting to match...

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Bumper Cover Cracked (pix)

Quick Reply: C5 Bumper Cover Cracked (pix)