Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Cyber Grey Metallic....

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 07:37 PM
PUNISHER VETTE
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Cyber Grey Metallic....

Sorry to bring up a topic I asked about a year ago but I'm even closer and have some fears about picking it now.

I REALLY want this color for my '69 but all the pictures I look at seem to be different looking. Some almost silver like, some very dark(which I want!!!!).

Is there a paint/color that looks like the darker Cyber Grey all the time? Not just in cloudy weather? Or is that how all grey's work?

https://www.corvetteforum.com/c6-cor...re-thread.html

I guess I need to get to more shows so I can see this color in person... which my local GM dealership had ANY corvette... and a CGM one would be icing on the cake.

Last edited by PUNISHER VETTE; 07-30-2014 at 07:39 PM.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:56 PM
PUNISHER VETTE
Race Director

I wish I was born with an artistic eye and able to vision what something would look like done.

Both those photos are with black rims/lights and accents. With all the chrome parts on my '69 i'm not sure how it'll work out.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:25 PM
CF6873
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Carlisle is coming soon. I'm sure you can see lots of them there.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:08 PM
persuader
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts

Cyber gray is a great color for a 69. The chrome will just accentuate it more. Me thinks.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:47 PM
PUNISHER VETTE
Race Director

Originally Posted by persuader
Cyber gray is a great color for a 69. The chrome will just accentuate it more. Me thinks.
While I'm not a huge fan of chrome I think it works with grey pretty well.

I'm pretty positive i'll go with cyber... just worried if it's not dark enough i might not like it.

I live pretty close to Carlisle that I should go...
Old 08-01-2014, 05:53 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Shoot out a test panel and see if you like it.

You can always add more toners to to to darken it . I do that for customers quite often.

I modify and tint colors for customer from time to time when ti is an all over and they are not worried about being correct. And as long as you keep track of what you are adding...you will have a formula for it in the future if needed.

One tip I can give you...or at least what I do. when I am mixing my own paint on my service and I have it mixed...and I know I slightly over mixed what I know I would need. I make sure that I pour some of the raw paint into a can and seal it up and put it away. This is so when the car leaves the shop the owner gets that paint so in the future that will have at least some of the original color to repairs a spot if needed. And if you have the master formula...you man always mix more paint and use it as a ground coat than use the paint that is from the original mix on top of it so it saves your original mix.

I know...this sometimes does not matter due to paint fade in the future...but it is a start and you can always adjust the color from there.

Also write down how you shot it in regards to how your gun was set up, air pressure, type of reducer/thinner, fluid tip size, temp at the time of painting, humidity....anything that can better direct you in the future to get the color to match.

DUB
Old 08-01-2014, 11:29 PM
RBrid
Burning Brakes

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by PUNISHER VETTE
While I'm not a huge fan of chrome I think it works with grey pretty well.

I'm pretty positive i'll go with cyber... just worried if it's not dark enough i might not like it.

I live pretty close to Carlisle that I should go...
I'm not a fan of chrome either, but I do like cyber grey a lot. One thing you could consider is have all your chrome plated with black chrome. Example: http://classiccomponents.com/services/black-chrome
Cyber grey with black works nicely. I think black chrome would give it a more contemporary & aggressive look, than regular chrome. My 2 cts.
Old 08-02-2014, 12:29 AM
PUNISHER VETTE
Race Director

Originally Posted by RBrid
I'm not a fan of chrome either, but I do like cyber grey a lot. One thing you could consider is have all your chrome plated with black chrome. Example: http://classiccomponents.com/services/black-chrome
Cyber grey with black works nicely. I think black chrome would give it a more contemporary & aggressive look, than regular chrome. My 2 cts.
I actually bought a craigslist oven and have been doing powdercoat in my basement for a few years now and LOVE it. When i first got it I was thinking about Black Chrome as a scheme but on normal(not already chromed parts) it just didn't look very good so I decided to flat black most everything since(except for the frame is gloss)

But you might be right... instead of the intense chrome...black chrome bumpers and stuff might look pretty good. But I can always change that stuff after I paint I guess if I don't like the look.

The black chrome was just way too transparent and showed any imperfections in the metal where the flat hid a lot of things.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:49 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

Same here except my equipment is in my garage. I love being able to powder my own stuff. Flat or satin blacks always look great.
Old 11-05-2014, 12:07 PM
RBrid
Burning Brakes

Default Black chrome

This is what I had in mind when I suggested to have all the chrome plated with black chrome: Jimmie Johnson '71 at Sema.
Old 11-05-2014, 08:37 PM
PUNISHER VETTE
Race Director

This is what I had in mind when I suggested to have all the chrome plated with black chrome: Jimmie Johnson '71 at Sema.
Jimmie stole the idea of his car from me

Not only the black chrome bumpers we were discussing above months ago.

But I have proof I had the first C7 hood vent on a C3 I've seen so far.

Just not a fair game when he has unlimited money and knowledge and I'm learning everything as I go from scratch lol.

Last edited by PUNISHER VETTE; 11-05-2014 at 08:40 PM.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:18 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by PUNISHER VETTE
Jimmie stole the idea of his car from me

Not only the black chrome bumpers we were discussing above months ago.

But I have proof I had the first C7 hood vent on a C3 I've seen so far.

Just not a fair game when he has unlimited money and knowledge and I'm learning everything as I go from scratch lol.
Just remember....Imitation IS the highest form of flattery. AND...some people do not have the ability to create something new from their brain....so they copy. It is easier that way. And if s person copies a concept that someone else created....and tells everyone that THEY thought of it....well KARMA will come back and bite them in the backside ...WITH VENGEANCE.

DUB
Old 11-06-2014, 06:31 PM
PUNISHER VETTE
Race Director

Originally Posted by DUB
Just remember....Imitation IS the highest form of flattery. AND...some people do not have the ability to create something new from their brain....so they copy. It is easier that way. And if s person copies a concept that someone else created....and tells everyone that THEY thought of it....well KARMA will come back and bite them in the backside ...WITH VENGEANCE.

DUB
Yeah. I was a little disappointed at first seeing it.

But the good news is it gives me some good pics on how my hood will hopefully turn out.

Along with how hopefully my car should look better(in my eyes at least).

I was thinking of 18" rallys wheels not that long ago...not too sure now.
Cyber gray I think will be a better gray.
and '69 vents>>>>>>>JJ egg crates.

Plus with my beginner level painting I don't think i'll attempt a two tone job. which I'm not a fan of his T-tops...but not sure how I'd like a stripe design on a darker gray.
Old 11-07-2014, 12:45 AM
RBrid
Burning Brakes

Agree that cyber gray is a nicer gray. And personally I'd go with 17" rims. I think they fit better the retro look of a C3 than 18".

Did you see that gray beauty from SEMA? Foose GT40

Get notified of new replies

To Cyber Grey Metallic....

Quick Reply: Cyber Grey Metallic....