painting side of c4 hood

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 12:34 PM
Drt0800
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default painting side of c4 hood

Re-posting this as I was in wrong area last week

Had a paint lift on side of clamshell. I stripped down and re-primed as I was afraid the job was botched by PO and it would develop another lift.
The entire side of hood is now ready for paint..(polo green metallic)
I only have NAPA rattle cans and 2k clear. Will I need to blend into the door and hood or just the door? Hate to use rattle can but cost is an issue. I was planning to back tape at top to keep from hood and prevent a transition line. Any help is appreciated
Old 07-30-2014, 06:33 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by Drt0800
Re-posting this as I was in wrong area last week

Had a paint lift on side of clamshell. I stripped down and re-primed as I was afraid the job was botched by PO and it would develop another lift.
The entire side of hood is now ready for paint..(polo green metallic)
I only have NAPA rattle cans and 2k clear. Will I need to blend into the door and hood or just the door? Hate to use rattle can but cost is an issue. I was planning to back tape at top to keep from hood and prevent a transition line. Any help is appreciated
I HATE to write this....but take the money you spent and throw it out the window when going down the road.

I am EXTREMELY GOOD with an aerosol paint can....BUT I would not attempt to paint a hood and expect it to look anything close to acceptable. And there is no way of knowing that the paint in the can is even close enough to allow you to blend.

BUT ...do it as you see fit. Do not be surprised if you are doing it again....which makes it even more time consuming...and more money you do not have.

OBVIOUSLY the entire hood needs to be prepped (including headlight doors) so it can be clearcoated....you are aware of that....CORRECT??? UNLESS you know that and you plan on living with a tell-tale line where the new clears stops somewhere on the hood.

The door also needs to be COMPLETELY prepped...which also usually means removing the upper outer sealing strip and the mirror and door handle.....BECAUSE the door also has to be clearcoated. You can do only the upper half of the door if you choose.

Just to let you know you can run into a reaction between the clear and the spray paint.

I will write this like I tell some of my customers....."You are in such a hurry to get something done and NOT have the money to do it RIGHT the first time....you sure as HECK will have the money to pay me to do it all over again fro even more money".

Try to keep in MIND why you are doing this in the fist place. The previous owner botched it up...and personally/professionally. You are heading down that same exact path. It has everything to do with the type of primer you used. Hopefully not out of an aerosol can..because the chances that you got the really good primer that is in an aerosol can is highly unlikely....due to its expense.

I TRULY wish you the best. HONESTLY I DO!!!.

SLOW DOWN..and just stop and think before you do this....OR... at least take the time....and test shoot your 'idea' and make sure it will work on a piece of metal....and that also means applying what ever primer you used and then paint it from there. And I KNOW....you will have to mix and shoot the clear. BUT ...if you don't....and you have a reaction....and you ask for help....YOU will NOT get a reply from ME. And even if your 'test panel' works out great...there is NO GUARANTEE that the paint and clear will not react with what is on the hood currently. WELCOME to my WORLD.

YOU are smart enough to ask for help....and it is FREE advice...even though I have PAID with 20+ years of my life doing this...IF you do not take heed to my suggestions and potential warnings of a failure...you are on your own....and hopefully someone else on the forum can help you.

DUB
Old 07-30-2014, 09:32 PM
Drt0800
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the excellent advice. You know far better than I do. I'll take it to a shop. Thank you for the help and advice

Get notified of new replies

To painting side of c4 hood

Quick Reply: painting side of c4 hood