Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

crack where the body seam is

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 05:09 PM
vstol
Melting Slicks

Received 76 Likes on 74 Posts

Default crack where the body seam is

Just getting the car from gel coat to primer and I notice a very small hair line crack that is running the length of the rear bonding strip. The flares were professionally installed and I will call him tomorrow but I was thinks of making a very small v in the crack and filling it. Any thoughts?

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...ica-kinda.html
Old 07-27-2014, 05:39 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

SO you car is already gelcoated...CORRECT??

I looked at some of your photos showing the fenders being off. SO a lot of it has to do with what was used to put the flared fenders on. And how the seams were finished out.

I hope that just fiberglass and resin were not used to put these on because I can not tell you how many Corvettes I have worked on that were done that way and I can split the panel off without a lot of effort and some panels I literally pulled off by hand. Sloppy wet resin in fiberglass mat may seem like a good method...but I have seen the downside of using it.

So it all depends on how it was done and if you have photos of the area just before it was gelcoated...would be great.

DUB
Old 07-27-2014, 06:01 PM
vstol
Melting Slicks

Thanks DUB, only pics are what is on the build site. Jeff Leech from Mid America Ind has been doing this for 20 plus years, this is and very fine crack, not sure but will call him tomorrow
Kevin
Old 07-28-2014, 06:03 AM
vstol
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by vstol
Thanks DUB, only pics are what is on the build site. Jeff Leech from Mid America Ind has been doing this for 20 plus years, this is and very fine crack, not sure but will call him tomorrow
Kevin
sorry it is gel coated using the product Duratec
Old 07-28-2014, 07:24 PM
vstol
Melting Slicks

I ended up digging it out "V" and re-glassed it. Will coat it with putty then regel coat it
Thanks
Old 07-29-2014, 10:50 AM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

When you say "putty" you mean a 2 component body filler, right? Not that old school tube of "spot putty"...
Old 07-29-2014, 05:32 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by zwede
When you say "putty" you mean a 2 component body filler, right? Not that old school tube of "spot putty"...
YES...I am curious also. 'Spot putty' is a BIG NO-NO!!! It is outdated ...even though many people still use it. I NEVER use it.

Using a filler that is soft...and depending on how thick you apply it...you can 'sometimes' run into issues due to the filler does not have the density to work well. I have my favorite 'go-to' filler/adhesive....and it has not failed me in 20+ years....so I have a hard time using some of the new stuff....which I have tried and just can not use after I perform some tests with it/them. Using the 'new stuff' on steel panels YES...but fiberglass/SMC...I just can't do it.

DUB
Old 07-29-2014, 06:01 PM
vstol
Melting Slicks

There is a big sale at Lowes of generic "putty" so I thought I would get that. No seriously thanks for your concern, filler vice putty would have been the proper use of terms. This is my third corvette build but I'm always open to some better products. Any how I have sanded the glass and skimmed it with body filler. Thanks Kevin

Get notified of new replies

To crack where the body seam is

Quick Reply: crack where the body seam is