Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

which DA?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 05:37 PM
71frameoff
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default which DA?

getting ready to start a body work and repaint myself. starting to collect tools and need recommendations on a DA. I have plenty of air volume (80gal tank, dual stage).
Old 07-15-2014, 06:29 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by 71frameoff
getting ready to start a body work and repaint myself. starting to collect tools and need recommendations on a DA. I have plenty of air volume (80gal tank, dual stage).
This must be your first paint job...yes? Do you know how to PROPERLY use a DA???? A DA is useful in the hands of someone who knows when and where to use it( experience teaches us this) and with your Corvette being fiberglass/SMC...and NOT STEEL...it does make a difference.

I have a Dynabrade with a 5 inch pad on mine (slightly smaller radius than a 6 inch)...and I have a 3 inch DA also and I use it/them very seldom...and I do know how to use a DA correctly. The DA can ruin a job because most people run it at full throttle not realizing that running it at a high rpm not only wears out the sand paper faster...they can do more damage than good.

For what it is worth.....if you have not accepted it yet.....you might want to realize that doing much of this by hand is going to be a route that you will find yourself going. The guys in the past that I have trained...had to have a very good...and I mean a VERY GOOD sense of 'feel' BEFORE I would allow them to even put the DA in their hand. And when they 'earned' the right to use it...most times that would NOT use it and use a long board or other type of sanding block to get the panel prepped. If you can not feel out a panel correctly....a DA can be your downfall. It is your choice.

DUB
Old 07-15-2014, 06:41 PM
71frameoff
Instructor

Yup, new to the paint and body game. I have done some body work on metal and some painting as well. My son and I are doing a complete frame off restoration on a 71. we are done with the frame and I must say we did an outstanding job. (not bad for rookies). I know that doing body work on fiberglass is like being an artist doing a sculpture and we are going to go very slow. We will listen to the pro and not buy a DA and do it all by hand. I hope to talk to you about repairing seams and a little body damage soon.
Thanks!!!
Old 07-15-2014, 07:25 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by 71frameoff
Yup, new to the paint and body game. I have done some body work on metal and some painting as well. My son and I are doing a complete frame off restoration on a 71. we are done with the frame and I must say we did an outstanding job. (not bad for rookies). I know that doing body work on fiberglass is like being an artist doing a sculpture and we are going to go very slow. We will listen to the pro and not buy a DA and do it all by hand. I hope to talk to you about repairing seams and a little body damage soon.
Thanks!!!
AWESOME... A father and son project.

Will be glad to help in any way possible.

DUB
Old 07-15-2014, 09:50 PM
71frameoff
Instructor

Thanks!!

Get notified of new replies

To which DA?

Quick Reply: which DA?