Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

72' Birdcage and Body Resto and Paint

Old 07-13-2014, 11:26 PM
Southernbound
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 72' Birdcage and Body Resto and Paint

Anyone have any experience with body shops in the mid-Atlantic? I need some suggestions on who to take this to!

Old 07-14-2014, 10:57 AM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

I had similar damage, although not quite as bad. Mine looked almost fine until I poked it with a screwdriver and chunks of paint fell off with nothing behind it.

Honestly, this is a perfect time to learn MIG welding. Unless you have a buddy that's willing to do it for cheap, you will spend less on a MIG & helmet than a shop. It's actually a very easy repair as it is not visible. Cut out the old metal, make a patch piece and weld it in.

Be sure to protect the windshield! A grinder will burn little pockmarks in the glass. I ruined a brand new windshield that way.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:33 AM
Southernbound
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by zwede
I had similar damage, although not quite as bad. Mine looked almost fine until I poked it with a screwdriver and chunks of paint fell off with nothing behind it.

Honestly, this is a perfect time to learn MIG welding. Unless you have a buddy that's willing to do it for cheap, you will spend less on a MIG & helmet than a shop. It's actually a very easy repair as it is not visible. Cut out the old metal, make a patch piece and weld it in.

Be sure to protect the windshield! A grinder will burn little pockmarks in the glass. I ruined a brand new windshield that way.
Thanks! My major fear is that without removing the bird cage from the fiberglass sections, and blasting the birdcage down to bare metal, I won't know how bad it is. I don't think I'll have the time to learn how to fiberglass. Wondering if I can learn how to separate the panels, send the cage for blasting, and then pay someone to fix the cage and put the panels back together? Either way, it's not going to be cheap!
Old 07-14-2014, 12:10 PM
zwede
Race Director

To separate the panels, use a heat gun and pry them apart. The factory bonding adhesive will let go if heated enough. Not sure if you can get all the panels off intact, though. didn't have to go that far on mine.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:28 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

AS much as I hate to write this. This is NOT going to be a picnic. And from the photo's...this does not look good at all. Especially if you are wanting to repair it and have it last without any areas showing back up again. RUST is RELENTLESS. But it takes 3 things to make rust. Bare ferrous metal, moisture and air. Remove any one of the three and rust can not start or progress.

The 'unknown' is what will come back and make your regret any decision you made ASSUMING that what is covered up is OK.

DUB
Old 07-14-2014, 08:21 PM
Southernbound
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by DUB
AS much as I hate to write this. This is NOT going to be a picnic. And from the photo's...this does not look good at all. Especially if you are wanting to repair it and have it last without any areas showing back up again. RUST is RELENTLESS. But it takes 3 things to make rust. Bare ferrous metal, moisture and air. Remove any one of the three and rust can not start or progress.

The 'unknown' is what will come back and make your regret any decision you made ASSUMING that what is covered up is OK.

DUB
That's exactly why I want to pull the cage out. I've gone this far, and it has already been 13 years. My only fear is not finding the appropriate parts if I break a panel, or if the cage is too far gone.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:06 AM
zwede
Race Director

Maybe check around and see if you can find another bird cage. Every now and then the Corvette salvage yards have one for sale.
Old 11-23-2014, 07:40 PM
Southernbound
Heel & Toe

Default Fantomworks in Norfolk VA

These guys did a great job with the repairs and it was affordable!
Attached Images     
Old 11-24-2014, 06:53 PM
DUB
Race Director

MAN...I am not wanting to write anything...but what just baffles my mind...is that are special 'weld-thru' coatings that can be used to protect bare steel BEFORE it is welded in place...so rust does not start right after the welding process. What you can spray on what you can see is one thing...but it is what is exposed that you can not see is what I am worried about...and I can tell you I do not see any coating applied...because it would be evident.

The work looks nice....but it is the 'small stuff' that can make or break a job. And seeing an evident skill level in metal work...why would they not use a protective coating and REALLY give it a fighting chance for survival...because I am sure that you are not going to completely remove everything off the birdcage and have it dipped.

DUB
Old 11-24-2014, 07:31 PM
Southernbound
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by DUB
MAN...I am not wanting to write anything...but what just baffles my mind...is that are special 'weld-thru' coatings that can be used to protect bare steel BEFORE it is welded in place...so rust does not start right after the welding process. What you can spray on what you can see is one thing...but it is what is exposed that you can not see is what I am worried about...and I can tell you I do not see any coating applied...because it would be evident.

The work looks nice....but it is the 'small stuff' that can make or break a job. And seeing an evident skill level in metal work...why would they not use a protective coating and REALLY give it a fighting chance for survival...because I am sure that you are not going to completely remove everything off the birdcage and have it dipped.

DUB
That's a good question. They coated everything afterwards (not pictured), but I see your point about coating between the welds. Well, time will tell, but for now, it is infinitely better than it was before. If I ever have the problem in the future, I'll just pull the damn thing apart and dip it. But at the end of the day, this isn't going to be a museum piece. I'm going to run the wheels off this thing during the day, and garage it at night and hope that is good enough. I appreciate your input. Dropping knowledge!
Old 11-25-2014, 06:30 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by Southernbound
That's a good question. They coated everything afterwards (not pictured), but I see your point about coating between the welds. Well, time will tell, but for now, it is infinitely better than it was before. If I ever have the problem in the future, I'll just pull the damn thing apart and dip it. But at the end of the day, this isn't going to be a museum piece. I'm going to run the wheels off this thing during the day, and garage it at night and hope that is good enough. I appreciate your input. Dropping knowledge!
I can relate to it not being a 'museum piece'. Because if it were....the growth rate of rust would be greatly reduced....due to being in a controlled environment.

You are more than likely OK...and knowing that you are going to have FUN driving it....well...that is all what it is about.

My comments are for those who may not know about this type of work and what can be done to improve on what was shown in the photo. There is a 'line in the sand' that has to be drawn...due to birdcage was not stripped all the way down. So what is why it was hard for me to write what I did. This type of rust repair and removal can be quite expensive.

DUB
Old 11-25-2014, 07:27 PM
Southernbound
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by DUB
I can relate to it not being a 'museum piece'. Because if it were....the growth rate of rust would be greatly reduced....due to being in a controlled environment.

You are more than likely OK...and knowing that you are going to have FUN driving it....well...that is all what it is about.

My comments are for those who may not know about this type of work and what can be done to improve on what was shown in the photo. There is a 'line in the sand' that has to be drawn...due to birdcage was not stripped all the way down. So what is why it was hard for me to write what I did. This type of rust repair and removal can be quite expensive.

DUB
DUB, your comment was well-received and appreciated. Not just for me, but for all others that view this thread in the future.

Get notified of new replies

To 72' Birdcage and Body Resto and Paint

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 72' Birdcage and Body Resto and Paint