Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

sprayed interior dye on dash pads. how to care?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 09:01 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,928 Likes on 4,774 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Default sprayed interior dye on dash pads. how to care?

like the tittle states. I sprayed Corvette America dye on my dads 67 dash and dash pads along with all the interior trim moldings. it turned out great with even color. it sprays fantastic too. but how do I care for the dash pads so it last. I cleaned and prepped the pads like I was told to do.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:18 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

A mild cleaner with NO solvents or harsh chemicals in it. Often times...even though you wrote you prepped the pads as like you were instructed to do. These spray on dyes can fail and lift or peel in time. So just be careful with all the parts you applied dye on.

Always do a test spot before wiping the entire part....and do not do them when they are hot.

REALLY cleaning and possibly applying an adhesion promoter before the dye can allow the dye to 'bite in' and adhere very well. It is hard to tell sometimes when cleaning part and 'swearing that it is clean'...only to find that some product was applied to it in the past that absorbed into the vinyl...and can keep your dye from truly sticking. I do not like to dye old parts....personally...and especially on parts that are going to see heavy use. But when I do...I clean them so many times...at least I know I did my best and if it fails....the customer was already warned. And in many cases...the customer was there with me when we cleaned the parts so many times we got hand cramps....so they know the BEST prep was done.

DUB
Old 07-13-2014, 06:25 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,928 Likes on 4,774 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

I cleaned them very well several months ago and just left the dash sit in a clean climte controlled room. Then I cleaned them again before I painted them. So I was hopping by letting them sit any thing that was in the vinyl would have came out. This is going in a restored car that's going to be a show car. With very little use and time in the sun.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:46 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
I cleaned them very well several months ago and just left the dash sit in a clean climte controlled room. Then I cleaned them again before I painted them. So I was hopping by letting them sit any thing that was in the vinyl would have came out. This is going in a restored car that's going to be a show car. With very little use and time in the sun.
You should be fine.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To sprayed interior dye on dash pads. how to care?

Quick Reply: sprayed interior dye on dash pads. how to care?