Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

L98 hood over an lt1

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 03:37 PM
MickPB
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default L98 hood over an lt1

I am having trouble finding a decent late c4 hood. Has anyone tried the 85-89 hood on a 95? Was the AC press or an issue? How much work to make it fit?
Old 07-11-2014, 06:21 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by MickPB
I am having trouble finding a decent late c4 hood. Has anyone tried the 85-89 hood on a 95? Was the AC press or an issue? How much work to make it fit?
You can get the hood you need new...if you are not aware of it.

YES...using a hood from a tuned port is an issue due to the area above the ac compressor is the problem. I have modified the hood to fit before where I had to CAREFULLY cut out the inner structure form the old hood and splice/section it into the used hood.

I do a lot of fiberglass work so it was not that big of a deal...so it depends if you know how to do bodywork.

I believe the mounting studs on the inside for your headlight supports are different also.

DUB
Old 07-12-2014, 01:35 PM
MickPB
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New hood option

I found a place about 6 hours away that makes the GM restoration hoods but the are three times what a good l98 hood goes for. The car is a project and used for road trips. I see the difference as new seat covers and foam. I've done bodywork but not on fiberglass.
I'll read up on your other posts but thinking I like the option to put the $ into two improvements rather than one. Thanks Dub
Old 07-12-2014, 06:01 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by MickPB
I found a place about 6 hours away that makes the GM restoration hoods but the are three times what a good l98 hood goes for. The car is a project and used for road trips. I see the difference as new seat covers and foam. I've done bodywork but not on fiberglass.
I'll read up on your other posts but thinking I like the option to put the $ into two improvements rather than one. Thanks Dub
I can help you through this...via photo's and phone calls if you want to take two hoods and make ONE that will work. If you do not have some tools that will make the job go easier...you might end up finding that you will need to rent or purchase these tools so it can be done. AND then couple that with the cost of the hood and what a new hood costs AND your TIME..you might wish that you got the hood that is correct.

Sending you a PM.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To L98 hood over an lt1

Quick Reply: L98 hood over an lt1