Received 1,500 Likes on 817 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Default Can I fix this at home?

Not the best picture, but it is damage to the clearcoat (grazed):

Old 07-06-2014, 06:22 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Need a better photo...and one of these photo's not so close. So post a couple. Need to know where it is located on the car. YES...it matters.

DUB
Old 07-08-2014, 09:08 AM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Originally Posted by DUB
Need a better photo...and one of these photo's not so close. So post a couple. Need to know where it is located on the car. YES...it matters.

DUB
I don't know if this one is any more helpful, the blemish is more visible in certain lighting:

TIA
Old 07-08-2014, 09:35 AM
oldgoat99
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Old 07-08-2014, 07:39 PM
DUB
Race Director

If you lightly drag the backside of one of your fingernails across the area and if you can feel the scratch. You have to be careful in trying to get it smooth....because you can easily wear off the clear around it trying to get it slick and smooth.

It all depends on how deep the scratch is. It appears that the scratch did not get into the color...which is good. It may require a small coat of clear applied in the scratch CAREFULLY and then sanded and buffed/polished out.

Hard to say.

DUB
Old 07-08-2014, 08:48 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Originally Posted by DUB
If you lightly drag the backside of one of your fingernails across the area and if you can feel the scratch. You have to be careful in trying to get it smooth....because you can easily wear off the clear around it trying to get it slick and smooth.

It all depends on how deep the scratch is. It appears that the scratch did not get into the color...which is good. It may require a small coat of clear applied in the scratch CAREFULLY and then sanded and buffed/polished out.

Hard to say.

DUB
I can only feel the scratch a bit but can't get my fingernail caught in it.

Thanks, where can I buy the clear?
Old 07-09-2014, 08:15 AM
oldgoat99
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I thought you were talking about the scuff on the black part below the bumper cover. Meguiars Scratch X will take care of minor blemishes. It can be picked up almost anywhere that sells car stuff. (Walmart)

Old 07-09-2014, 08:47 AM
Mad*Max
Race Director

I had figured just as much, apologize for the poor picture.

I have tried the Scratch X product and it did not get rid of the scratch, it might have made it a bit lighter.

Do you know if there is a proper way of using this product for best results?

Originally Posted by oldgoat99
I thought you were talking about the scuff on the black part below the bumper cover. Meguiars Scratch X will take care of minor blemishes. It can be picked up almost anywhere that sells car stuff. (Walmart)

Old 07-09-2014, 06:14 PM
DUB
Race Director

Keep in mind that the factory clear on this bumper is THIN.

So...I know it is crazy...but I have a 10x jewelers loop and I go in and really look to see how deep a scratch is at times.

When scratches are so small as this....and the fact that I have my own paint mixing system at my disposal. I can mix a very small amount of clear and activate it and I go in with some of my paint brushes that literally have only 4-5 bristles.

You can get some of the 'touch-up' clear like the small touch paint bottles that many places like NAPA or other parts stores sell. It is basically a lacquer....and with you scratch being so small it may work well.

Being on a vertical surface is where the FUN is going to begin. If you use a brush that holds too much clear...or is too wide....can make a bigger mess and allow the clear to run....which is why I use a brush with very, very few bristles....so I can control what I am applying and while using my jewelers loop and actually watch what is going on when I apply the clear. I can fill it in very close to perfection. It still takes patience and time.

It all depends on how deep it is if whether or not sanding and polishing it out is plausible. The jewelers loop or 10X magnifying glass will help...or at least it always helps me really look at it.

DUB
Old 07-10-2014, 07:03 AM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Thanks, I will take a look around to see if I can find the clear

Get notified of new replies

To Can I fix this at home?

Quick Reply: Can I fix this at home?