Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Black wheels cleaning question

Old 07-06-2014, 09:46 AM
Group501
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Black wheels cleaning question

I recently purchased a c7 Stingray z51 with the black wheels. Since purchasing the car I have had the car, rims and windshield Opti-coated. I do not drive the car in the rain and it is garaged. Once a week I: lightly dust off the car with a California duster, spray wax it with Optimum spray wax, clean the glass with Stoners Invisible cleaner and dress the tires with Optimum tire gel. I have not had to wash the car yet but when I do I will be using Optimum no-rinse. I have 800 miles on the car and while applying the tire gel yesterday I noticed that the wheels were looking a bit dirty. I used the spray wax and a micro fiber towel to clean the rims. About 35 minutes and 2 micro fiber towels later I knew it was not the right way to clean them. They did come out great but big hands and small openings on deep wheels was a real pain, literally. My question is this: Should I buy the Mother's power ball? Is there something better than it? Is there a better spray than the Optimum spray wax, to use on the wheels? I appreciate all suggestions. As a side note, I am of the school where I want my car to always look great but do not want to spend all day cleaning it. Also, any suggestions for an entry level buffer that won't leave swirl marks would be appreciated.
Old 07-06-2014, 06:20 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I have never used a wax to clean a wheel. I use the proven method of good ol' mild soap and water.

I would be careful on using a powerball due to you are cleaning a wheel that is coated.

I know of no fast easy way to do any wheel detailing. I wish I did. Other than removing the wheels so I can clean them thoroughly..... I do not try to get it all clean when it is still mounted....but then again...I have many different styles of wheels to deal with.

I will write this...and I am only writing this because I ave personally seen the effects in time. I have some friends that are neurotic about there cars being spotless all the time. They are always using an orbital polisher and always wiping the car with 'something'. And their cars have factory paint. In time they would have me stop by and ask what is happening to their paint....and it is that the clear is beginning to 'chalk-out'. And this is because...like I told them a while ago....the factory ONLY applies enough clear to last for the time that they 'feel' is an acceptable time for the paint to look good. And every time you wipe it with something...or use an orbital...you are removing material. AND this clear, that is being removed HAS to be thick enough to fight against the UV's of the sun. AND if you get the clear too thin...it does not have enough thickness to fight against the UV's and thus...it begins to chalk out...and turn white...which is the beginning of the end of its life.

Thought you may want to know this...in case you have never heard of it before. Not saying to stop keeping your car clean and pristine. Just be watchful....is all.

DUB

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Black wheels cleaning question