Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Fiberglass Repair-Front Clip

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 04:49 PM
Texas70
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fiberglass Repair-Front Clip

I stripped the paint from my front clip (1970 model) and getting it ready to re-bond to the car. I ran across some strange areas in the upper edge (driver side). It looks like the fibers are still there, but pieces of the glass are missing. The issue is only on the top side, it does not go through the fender.

First, what could have caused this? I am thinking the last person that stripped the car may have used a stripper that was not fiberglass friendly.

Second, what is the best way to repair this. I was thinking about dabbing some epoxy resin in the area and sanding it back down smooth.

Old 07-05-2014, 06:33 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Seriously doubt that chemical did this. I have seen it before...and from what I have experienced it is due to the fiberglass was exposed for a long time and the resin began to fail in this area.

It can be carefully ground down and depending on how much you grind it to get to good strong fiberglass...is to laminate it back and then grind that down and then fill over with Vette Panel Adhesive.

Take a close look along the rest of this upper body/feature line so you do not overlook an area that may not yet had the chance to fail...but is on its way to failing.

DUB

Quick Reply: Fiberglass Repair-Front Clip