Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Sandpaper recommendation? (Need to remove flaking/bubbling paint)

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 12:08 PM
Puzzele
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sandpaper recommendation? (Need to remove flaking/bubbling paint)

I have an 86 vette. I had some major airbrushing done to the car, but now it is a total mess. It is bubbling/flaking off. It is not worth spending the money to have it professionally sanded/re-painted. Therefore, I'm going to try and use some sandpaper and remove the loose paint myself -- and then possibly spray some black paint over it. I figure this is better than having it bubble/etc.

Do anybody have any recommendations for what type of sandpaper to use? I THINK I use 80 grit but I figured I'd double check. I'm also initially planning on sanding it by hand (since I'm chicken to take sandpaper to my precious vette) but I suspect I'll really need the help of a sandpaper machine thingy to speed up the process since about 75% of the paint is bubbling/needs to be removed. Does anybody have any recommendations for a cheap sandpaper device to help speed up the process for a novice?

Any help would be enormously appreciated. Thank you in advance.

PS: Here are some pictures of the vette to give you an idea of what I'm talking about:

http://www.buythisvette.com/

I'm also selling the car, but since it has a new engine, I'm tempted just to keep it and make it look a bit better. I am located in New Jersey.

Last edited by Puzzele; 07-03-2014 at 12:45 PM.
Old 07-03-2014, 12:42 PM
persuader
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts

Your situation is a hard one. But not an unfamiliar one to me when you have a car with a custom paint job that has taken a turn for the worse and the owner wants out. If your not willing to paint the car then there really is no point in sanding it. But if you leave it the way it is I suspect you will have a very hard time selling it.
I would sell it like it is or strip and paint it which is a lot of work and at that point I would have to keep it.
Old 07-03-2014, 12:54 PM
porchdog
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

whoever did that mess should fix it although i doubt he has the skills. a pressure washer will likely take off 90% of it seeing how he did no prep on it. looks like his work looked so bad he kept trying to hide it.
sorry for your loss on it.
Old 07-03-2014, 05:51 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I am afraid to comment. mainly with you wanting to do something on it yourself...this is a major job.

Porchdog's comment on using a pressure washer seems to be a great tip.

You using a power sander can be a blessing and a curse. You can actually do more harm that good if you do not know how to use one....and there are some areas that you should not use a power sander.

80 grit is too rough if you plan on shooting some 'rattle can' paint on it...which will fail also in time. Going in with finer grits will take forever.

I hate it for you and I would get he person who shot this %#@&!!!!! to fix it so you can sell it. Especially if it was recently done. Or have him give you your $$$ back or take him to court if he does nothing at all. BECAUSE if you let this go...you are basically sending a message to everyone that people who do work like that can get away with it and ruin the way people look at me...thinking that I am going to screw there stuff up....which I do not!!!

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Sandpaper recommendation? (Need to remove flaking/bubbling paint)

Quick Reply: Sandpaper recommendation? (Need to remove flaking/bubbling paint)