Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 06:28 PM
rochhound
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default base coat fish eye

i just finished shooting all the parts i pulled off my 86 c4
didnt come out to bad,with exception to my head light covers and
fuel tank cover a few fish eyes.used a wax remover on them still just a few spots. didnt clear coat these parts because of the problem.
my Question is should i strip the base coat off its still soft or wait and sand. base coat doesnt have hardener so wondering if it will ever dry?
thanks steve
Old 06-22-2014, 07:47 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by rochhound
i just finished shooting all the parts i pulled off my 86 c4
didnt come out to bad,with exception to my head light covers and
fuel tank cover a few fish eyes.used a wax remover on them still just a few spots. didnt clear coat these parts because of the problem.
my Question is should i strip the base coat off its still soft or wait and sand. base coat doesnt have hardener so wondering if it will ever dry?
thanks steve
If applied correctly....the base coat will dry enough...hopefully...that you can sand it and reapply.

Not knowing what you are using it is hard to say if you can wipe them off and keep going with the paint job....and if you applied the base coat over a coat of sealer that may still be curing....so it is hard to advise.....not enough information from you.

Fish eyes can occur if you are applying too much paint in one coat.....and also if when you used the wax and grease remover...if you used it correctly also. There is a process in using wax and grease remover effectively.

Also...if painting in an area where dusts can lay on your parts that have grease, oil, silicone or a petroleum product attached to them...falling from the ceiling or whatever is above your painting area...it can happen again.

DUB
Old 06-22-2014, 10:05 PM
rochhound
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for your reply funny the three parts that had fish eyes were metal !
used sealer 2 coats, 2x primer 2coats cured for 5 days ill wait a couple days and sand and primer it then repaint. this is my first attempt at two stage overall works great. thanks

Get notified of new replies

To base coat fish eye

Quick Reply: base coat fish eye