Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

seal or not to seal

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 11:23 PM
PMARTINEZ92126
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default seal or not to seal

Im redoing headlight covers and some side panels. I just shot the high build primer and Im in the process of sanding it. My question is should I seal it before base and clear? IF so, what is the purpose of sealing the primer?
Old 06-20-2014, 06:01 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by PMARTINEZ92126
Im redoing headlight covers and some side panels. I just shot the high build primer and Im in the process of sanding it. My question is should I seal it before base and clear? IF so, what is the purpose of sealing the primer?
The choice of using a sealer or not is up to you.

The purpose of the sealer is to 'bite' into the properly prepped and sanded primer...and when you go and paint it ...the chemicals in the paint will bond to the sealer..as long as the time line is observed and you do not allow the sealer to dry too long before applying the paint.

Also..a sealer is used when a primer is NOT covering the entire panel from end to end. So if some paint is exposed and then primer and so on...when a sealer is applied...it is going on thick enough to keep all edges down and not swelling or reacting with the solvents and chemicals in the paint itself. Sealers are an 'insurance policy'...but sealers are optional....but highly recommended.

DUB

Quick Reply: seal or not to seal