Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

C5 Hood Paint Crack/Crater

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 10:20 PM
mpride
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Default C5 Hood Paint Crack/Crater

I have two spots on my hood in roughly the same place where it looks like the paint was possibly cracked by a rock or two. The area is now above the surface of the surrounding paint. I’m wondering if this can be repaired without painting the entire hood. If so, is it possible that this could be a DIY repair? I don’t mind trying to repair it. If I fsail then I’ll just have it painted anyway.

I have a few pictures of the are. The pictures are not very good. I had hell getting a picture of it that was useable. I tried outside and in the garage.

Take a look and if you have any ideas or opinions I’d like to hear them.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by mpride; 06-16-2014 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Created a link for each pictures instead of to the library.
Old 06-16-2014, 01:08 AM
<73Vette>
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

could not get photo to come up. to do it right you should sand it down to where chip is completely out and feather it out so there is not a big ring from the transition of sealer/paint/clear. then prime it with a primer surface and paint it. You could do all the work up to the painting part and have a body shop paint it for you. Painting with out lots of practice is vary hard to make it look nice. Jump on YouTube there are plenty of videos to show you the process. that will give you an idea of the task at hand.

good luck
Old 06-16-2014, 08:52 AM
mpride
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by <73Vette>
could not get photo to come up. to do it right you should sand it down to where chip is completely out and feather it out so there is not a big ring from the transition of sealer/paint/clear. then prime it with a primer surface and paint it. You could do all the work up to the painting part and have a body shop paint it for you. Painting with out lots of practice is vary hard to make it look nice. Jump on YouTube there are plenty of videos to show you the process. that will give you an idea of the task at hand.

good luck
I'm kinda thinking that maybe I'll just do my best to cover it up for now. I think you are correct that it wouldn't be a smart idea for me to try and make the repair (at least spraying the paint). I'm going to think about it a little more though.

Thanks for the info.
Old 06-16-2014, 05:17 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by mpride
I'm kinda thinking that maybe I'll just do my best to cover it up for now. I think you are correct that it wouldn't be a smart idea for me to try and make the repair (at least spraying the paint). I'm going to think about it a little more though.

Thanks for the info.
Without having photo's to look at...that may be your best move. Just touch it up and move on.

So many ways of doing a repair...so a photo here is worth a 1000 words.

Color of the car and other contributing factors can dictate how it can be done with minimal repair time...due to they are only chips...and hopefully they have not had wax wiped in them.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Hood Paint Crack/Crater

Quick Reply: C5 Hood Paint Crack/Crater