Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

C4 auxillary hard top repaint

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 10:04 PM
C4 Vert Bob
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C4 auxillary hard top repaint

I purchased an auxillary hardtop for for my Black Rose 92 vert. Unfortunately the hardtop is Quasar Blue and the paint is checked. I am prepared to strip and paint the roof but I have a question about the reveal moulding around the back glass. In order to have a nice paint job around the glass that moulding has to come off and/or the glass come out. I have been searching for a replacement moulding in case it can't be reused but have had no luck so far. I have tried warming the urethane with a heat gun and gently working the moulding up with no luck. Has anyone painted a C-4 hardtop and if so how did you work around this moulding? Does anyone know where to get a replacement? Has anyone cut the moulding out and then re-glued it with urethane?
This is a factory ASC roof. I have talked to Corvette parts suppliers, a couple of glass shops and a local Corvette restoration shop to no avail. Any suggestions from someone who has gone through this are much appreciated.
Old 06-12-2014, 05:23 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

This plastic trim can stay. 3M makes a special tape with a hard clear plastic strip attached to the tape. It is so you can slide the plastic under the trim...pull it back so you can get under it...then tape it to the glass.

I myself would not try to mess with this trim UNLESS I had a new one in hand. Cutting out the back glass and filling it in with urethane ...to me....is a B.S. way of doing it.

DUB
Old 06-12-2014, 09:37 PM
C4 Vert Bob
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
This plastic trim can stay. 3M makes a special tape with a hard clear plastic strip attached to the tape. It is so you can slide the plastic under the trim...pull it back so you can get under it...then tape it to the glass.

I myself would not try to mess with this trim UNLESS I had a new one in hand. Cutting out the back glass and filling it in with urethane ...to me....is a B.S. way of doing it.

DUB
I will check with my local jobber for the tape. Thanks for the tip!

Get notified of new replies

To C4 auxillary hard top repaint

Quick Reply: C4 auxillary hard top repaint