Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Paint Question(Climate related)

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 05:01 PM
92 Quasar
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Paint Question(Climate related)

I recently got a 1992 coupe that has spent it's whole life on the east coast(VA and NC) and most of the paint is original except the hood and nose. The paint is in really good shape, some fading on the bumpers, but not too bad. I've only had it here in AZ for a month now and it's always garage parked. I noticed yesterday that it looks like there are a ton of rock chips all over the car. I know for a fact that they weren't there when I washed it the day before yesterday. I did go for a cruise that day, but I wasn't behind any semi trucks or didn't get pelted with rocks(that I noticed) while out driving.

My question is, can the heat cause the paint to flake off where it's maybe been hit before by tiny rocks over the past 22 years? Maybe going from an environment that's humid to one that's really dry and hot would cause the paint to do this? Also I'm noticing cracks forming in the windshield as well. I know for sure no rocks have hit the windshield since it's been here in AZ that would cause a major chip. Thanks.
Old 06-11-2014, 05:42 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Due to the front bumper and hood having paint applied to them...and not knowing how well the person who prepped and painted these parts actually did it. It can be possible that the paint and or clear can pop off....but usually it occurs when it has been hit by something....in most cases. And being where you are....I would think it can be more like sand causing it.

I do not know if the heat would cause for paint to just start popping off. It gets really hot here in the Carolina's in the summer. How hot is it in your area now??? And if it is in a garage...I would assume that this garage is not a 'hot box' and it is temperature controlled. If you are storing it in a tin shed that you can cook an egg inside during the day. You might need to re-think where you store this car...because paint is not going to be your only problem....as you more than likely already know.

I can not comment on the cracks in the windshield...other than if the car is really hot and you turn on the air conditioning and it hits the windshield...it may cause for small cracks to increase. If you have a crack in the windshield...you might need to use a jewelers loop and look close and see if there was a small stone chip there first.

If you car was here ...I would take my jewelers loop and look at the areas where the paint popped off and see if I can see if it was hit by something recently or if it is delamination issue.

DUB
Old 06-11-2014, 11:39 PM
92 Quasar
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DUB, thanks for the reply. It's starting to get pretty hot here. Consistently around 105 during the day. My garage is not temperature controlled, it gets pretty hot in there. I wish it was climate controlled, but it's definitely a lot better than the car sitting in my driveway under the hot sun.

If I got a jewelers loop to check out the paint cracks, how would I be able to tell if it was recently hit by something or a delamination issue?

Thanks again for your reply. I lived in North Carolina for seven years and definitely don't miss the humidity!

Get notified of new replies

To Paint Question(Climate related)

Quick Reply: Paint Question(Climate related)