Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Novice Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 10:07 PM
Tim81
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Novice Question

Guys, After applying the final coat of primer to seal everything up, do you wet sand the final coat or just paint right over it? Thanks
Old 06-08-2014, 05:26 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim81
Guys, After applying the final coat of primer to seal everything up, do you wet sand the final coat or just paint right over it? Thanks
I would hopefully assume that you used a primer that you catalyzed. And the surface(s) that you applied it on was/were sanded to allow the primer to adhere. And that you applied several coats allowing the primer to 'flash-off' between these coats. And you applied enough in each coat to give you a good build'

Assuming that all of the above is correct...than I usually wet sand the primer with 500 grit....then I apply a sealer...which is usually not the same as the primer. Then apply the paint and or clear.

In my paint system. I have products that are 'wet-on-wet' which means i can apply these products and if I stay within the 'window' of time...and not allow a step to go too long and dry...I can keep applying my products and literally go from a bare substrate (metal, fiberglass or urethane) and prime, seal and paint without sanding.

You do not have to apply a sealer on your primer...but it is good insurance so that you have a good foundation for the paint to stick to.

DUB
Old 06-08-2014, 06:50 PM
Tim81
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks for your knowledge DUB. I did everything you suggested so I believe I'm in good shape. Now on to practicing painting before I shoot the car...Tim
Old 06-09-2014, 06:52 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by Tim81
Thanks for your knowledge DUB. I did everything you suggested so I believe I'm in good shape. Now on to practicing painting before I shoot the car...Tim
VERY SMART!!!!! Get comfortable with your 'style' and equipment. if you need any more tips...co not hesitate to ask.

Keep this in mind. When you are going to spray your car. After many hours of practice. When you go and spray your car...depending in the environment you plan on spraying in. If the 'booth' you use is a cross-flow booth...where filtered air enters in one end and and exhausts out the other end. The air that is coming IN will hit that area of the body first closest to it....and the other end will NOT have the benefit of air actually blowing on it and being in a direct air stream...so-to-speak. So...if you start painting at the end of the car where the air is coming in...which is getting air on it...and when you get done applying a coat of paint on the other end. DO NOT be surprised if when you come back in in the time that would 'normally' have allowed the paint to flash off in your tests.....that the end of the car that you shot LAST...which is out of the direct filtered air stream is still WET. So...In my cross-flow booth...I start at the exhaust end of the booth and move to the intake end. This is so the front end ( which points towards my exhaust filters) is already flashing off while I am still applying paint. Just keep that in mind. This also APPLIES TO THE CLEAR. On the first 2 coats I go from front to rear (exhaust to intake)....then on the last coat....it does not matter...so I go from the rear to the front....(intake to exhaust) Does this make sense to you???? Just a thought to try to help.

DUB
Old 06-09-2014, 09:41 PM
TerryOlson
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
VERY SMART!!!!! Get comfortable with your 'style' and equipment. if you need any more tips...co not hesitate to ask.

Keep this in mind. When you are going to spray your car. After many hours of practice. When you go and spray your car...depending in the environment you plan on spraying in. If the 'booth' you use is a cross-flow booth...where filtered air enters in one end and and exhausts out the other end. The air that is coming IN will hit that area of the body first closest to it....and the other end will NOT have the benefit of air actually blowing on it and being in a direct air stream...so-to-speak. So...if you start painting at the end of the car where the air is coming in...which is getting air on it...and when you get done applying a coat of paint on the other end. DO NOT be surprised if when you come back in in the time that would 'normally' have allowed the paint to flash off in your tests.....that the end of the car that you shot LAST...which is out of the direct filtered air stream is still WET. So...In my cross-flow booth...I start at the exhaust end of the booth and move to the intake end. This is so the front end ( which points towards my exhaust filters) is already flashing off while I am still applying paint. Just keep that in mind. This also APPLIES TO THE CLEAR. On the first 2 coats I go from front to rear (exhaust to intake)....then on the last coat....it does not matter...so I go from the rear to the front....(intake to exhaust) Does this make sense to you???? Just a thought to try to help.

DUB
The voice of experience speaking here - not something a guy thinks about until he does it.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:28 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by TerryOlson
The voice of experience speaking here - not something a guy thinks about until he does it.
Thank you.

Often times it is the smallest of procedure changes ...that may seem so insignificant....ACTUALLY can change the entire process.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Novice Question

Quick Reply: Novice Question