Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Okay, really dumb question but i gotta ask

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 12:42 PM
77Driver
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Okay, really dumb question but i gotta ask

Per my earlier question I mentioned that I am going to put a couple of more layers of clear on. Ran out of time so I had to stop (2 wks ago). Using sherwin Williams clear and the tech support guy said to scuff it with 1000 then apply 2-3 thin coats. When I scuff it do I need to get ALL the orange peel off or a light once over with concentration on the areas with the trash.

Here's a picture of my version of a light once over.
Attached Images  
Old 06-07-2014, 05:40 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

SHINY SURFACES DO NOT ALLOW PAINT/CLEAR TO ADHERE.

You photo shows 50/50...50% not prepped...and 50% prepped. You DO want to get the surface DULL and NO SHINE ANYWHERE.

TRASH???? I thought you stated you have solvent pops...which is not trash.

Which is it...or do you have both...solvent pops and trash?

The repair procedure changes if all you are doing is going over trash...because solvents pops are in a world all their own on the repair.

I do not want to tell you something incorrect...but you have to let me know what is going on.

DUB
Old 06-07-2014, 07:13 PM
77Driver
Instructor

Thanks DUB. Yes, I have 2 small spots about the size of a nickel where I got bubbles plus the t tops. I have 2 spots that found a strand of dog hair and a love bug. I had 3 runs in the clear and a lot of orange peel. I got the love bug out right after it landed. Then I found the dog hair after the second coat of clear but I did not think that was a big deal because I was just going to sand it out. I only got two coats of clear on there. I didn't think that would be enough so I planned on correcting these issues then having at it again for 2 more coats. As I understand what you are saying, I believe that I am going to basically color sand it with 1000 grit twice. First to get the entire surface dull then when I do my final color sanding process. I just have to patiently work through these mistakes.

Last edited by 77Driver; 06-08-2014 at 08:53 AM.
Old 06-08-2014, 06:16 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by 77Driver
Thanks DUB. Yes, I have 2 small spots about the size of a nickel where I got bubbles plus the t tops. I have 2 spots that found a strand of dog hair and a love bug. I had 3 runs in the clear and a lot of orange peel. I got the love bug out right after it landed. Then I found the dog hair after the second coat of clear but I did not think that was a big deal because I was just going to sand it out. I only got two coats of clear on there. I didn't think that would be enough so I planned on correcting these issues then having at it again for 2 more coats. As I understand what you are saying, I believe that I am going to basically color sand it with 1000 grit twice. First to get the entire surface dull then when I do my final color sanding process. I just have to patiently work through these mistakes.
You can sand and also use a gray scotch brite pad and Comet cleanser to aid in getting areas dull. WASH IT THOROUGHLY to remove the Comet cleanser.

Just be careful with ONLY 2 coats of clear on it. It all depends on how you applied the two coats and what type of gun you used which can effect the percentage of paint transfer to the car.

DUB
Old 07-22-2014, 08:37 PM
77Driver
Instructor

DUB, I did all the things you told me to do and repainted this past weekend. I got much better results this time. As you can tell from the timing of this post it took me a good bit of time to get it ready. As far as I can tell no solvent pop this time. Considerably less orange peel too. I had it in the sun on Sunday and didn't notice any zebra striping but withhold judgement on that one till I get some good sun light.

By no means is this a perfect paint job but I am definitely pretty happy with the work. Of course all of this depends on whether or not it sticks for any length of time. I'm keeping my fingers crossed on that one. I'll post some pictures when I get back in town. Thanks for the help.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:55 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by 77Driver
DUB, I did all the things you told me to do and repainted this past weekend. I got much better results this time. As you can tell from the timing of this post it took me a good bit of time to get it ready. As far as I can tell no solvent pop this time. Considerably less orange peel too. I had it in the sun on Sunday and didn't notice any zebra striping but withhold judgement on that one till I get some good sun light.

By no means is this a perfect paint job but I am definitely pretty happy with the work. Of course all of this depends on whether or not it sticks for any length of time. I'm keeping my fingers crossed on that one. I'll post some pictures when I get back in town. Thanks for the help.
For what it is worth.

When I am checking my paint work. I do not like doing it on a sunny day. Sometimes I can get blinded by the shine. So I much prefer to check my work on an overcast day. That cool white dull light will show me things that can be hidden by bright light. An overcast day is my NEMESIS....If it passes my visual checks on an overcast day or at night under the sodium lights I have in my parking lot...IT WILL pass on a sunny day. OR you can wait until the sun starts to set and the car is in the shade....that will work also...and stand far away from it. If you are right up at the car...you may miss some things. 100 feet away on metallics will let me know a lot. I have other tests I do also....but for your concerns...this might help you.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Okay, really dumb question but i gotta ask

Quick Reply: Okay, really dumb question but i gotta ask