Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Paint cup vented vs. non vented question

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 08:05 PM
T_Vert
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Paint cup vented vs. non vented question

I currently have stainless cups that have a hole in the top for venting. My question is do the plastic cups w/ the screw on lid have a vent w/ a check valve to allow air in but not paint out? Reason I ask is that I would like to be able to turn the gun at a bit more of an angle when it is nearly full but I cannot do that w/ the cup I have. Do the vented plastic cups prevent paint spillage? Sorry for the newb question, I just bought some guns and they came w/ what they came with.

Dave
Old 05-19-2014, 09:00 PM
BigAl5611
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, all paint guns/cups must have a vent hole in them. I assume your asking about an HVLP gun.....you can buy cups with anti drip built into them. Do a google search for your gun manufacture cups - anti drip.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:30 PM
T_Vert
Le Mans Master

My questions is, is the vent hole basically a check valve to let air into the cup as the paint is sprayed to prevent suction in the cup and to prevent paint from spilling out?

Dave
Old 05-19-2014, 09:50 PM
CF6873
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by T_Vert
My questions is, is the vent hole basically a check valve to let air into the cup as the paint is sprayed to prevent suction in the cup and to prevent paint from spilling out?

Dave
No they don't have a check valve. Just a hole in the lid, and if you tilt the gun over too far paint will drip out. Devillbis makes bag liners that fit into the cup and are ziplocked and therefore can't drip. Or 3M offers PPS cup system that can be sprayed totally upside down.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:38 AM
Jig A Low
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WRONG !!! not all plastic cups have vent holes in them.

the DeKups system for the HVLP guns are a sealed cup, you can turn it in any direction and not have any paint drips, the cup is soft and collapses when your spraying so it doesn't need a vent.

I use these and can actually paint with the gun in ANY position even up side down.
Old 05-20-2014, 05:21 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

T Vert,
I use SATA paint guns and I have extra plastic lids...and they have a hole in them. When I am painting in a position that allows paint to come out of the hole and get caught in the lip of the lid as designed...I do not worry about it when I am spraying darn near upside down.....then...when I go to another area to paint...I remove the plastic lid and put a clean one on and keep going...so I do not have to possibly worry about paint dripping.

DUB
Old 05-20-2014, 05:50 PM
T_Vert
Le Mans Master

Ok thanks for the info. I guess I'm just paranoid that when the cup is full it could come sloshing out and make me start over.
Dave
Old 05-21-2014, 10:33 AM
929nitro
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Jig A Low
WRONG !!! not all plastic cups have vent holes in them.

the DeKups system for the HVLP guns are a sealed cup, you can turn it in any direction and not have any paint drips, the cup is soft and collapses when your spraying so it doesn't need a vent.

I use these and can actually paint with the gun in ANY position even up side down.
I use these and have used plastic bag liners prior to this and could paint totally upside down. You just have to pull the trigger while holding cup upside down until paint starts to shoot out the nozzle. Now you are ready to spray in any position.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:13 AM
porchdog
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

i have an iwata lph100 with a sidewinder cup. i use it to cut in all small areas or lips .

Get notified of new replies

To Paint cup vented vs. non vented question

Quick Reply: Paint cup vented vs. non vented question