Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Tru-flex install quote

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 01:32 PM
Afroshacks
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tru-flex install quote

Still kind of new here. Hope I'm posting this in the correct forum.
So I'm just shooting this out for a general response before I take the big leap.
Went in to a local corvette shop and asked a general figure amount for them to install my front and rear tru-flex bumpers, also paint the bumpers and feather them in. I've already purchased the bumpers. As well as I've already taken both front and rear off and cleaned up the areas underneath. Estimate was $4000. Does this sound about right for anyone that's had this done recently or know of someone who possibly has? I'm not looking to flame anyone. I'm just still fairly new to owning the car and want to know that I am at least in the ballpark of a fair deal before shelling out the cash. By the way, the shop did have really good reviews on their work.
Old 05-15-2014, 05:45 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by Afroshacks
Still kind of new here. Hope I'm posting this in the correct forum.
So I'm just shooting this out for a general response before I take the big leap.
Went in to a local corvette shop and asked a general figure amount for them to install my front and rear tru-flex bumpers, also paint the bumpers and feather them in. I've already purchased the bumpers. As well as I've already taken both front and rear off and cleaned up the areas underneath. Estimate was $4000. Does this sound about right for anyone that's had this done recently or know of someone who possibly has? I'm not looking to flame anyone. I'm just still fairly new to owning the car and want to know that I am at least in the ballpark of a fair deal before shelling out the cash. By the way, the shop did have really good reviews on their work.
First off...YES...you are posting this question in the correct area of the Forum.

Before I answer any further...what do you mean by "feather them in"? Do you mean you want to do away with the seam? Thus bonding tehm on. ....OR...do you want teh paint blended to match.

Questions:
What year is your car?
What color is you car?
Is it a solid color or metallic/pearl?
On a scale of 1 to 10...rate the quality of your paint job.? Does it have nick and chips on many of the panels? (yes ...it makes a difference)
What is the shops hourly rate?
How much are they charging you for materials?
Did they give you an actual estimate in hours for how long it was going to take????...or did they throw a number at you "off the cuff".

At first glance...the $4000 is really high...so that is why I need to know more information to see if they are in line or not...and I am not writing that they are trying to "take you to the cleaners". It all depends on what they stated they will do for you for that $4000.

DUB
Old 05-15-2014, 06:00 PM
Afroshacks
Cruising

Originally Posted by DUB
First off...YES...you are posting this question in the correct area of the Forum.

Before I answer any further...what do you mean by "feather them in"? Do you mean you want to do away with the seam? Thus bonding tehm on. ....OR...do you want teh paint blended to match.

Questions:
What year is your car?
What color is you car?
Is it a solid color or metallic/pearl?
On a scale of 1 to 10...rate the quality of your paint job.? Does it have nick and chips on many of the panels? (yes ...it makes a difference)
What is the shops hourly rate?
How much are they charging you for materials?
Did they give you an actual estimate in hours for how long it was going to take????...or did they throw a number at you "off the cuff".

At first glance...the $4000 is really high...so that is why I need to know more information to see if they are in line or not...and I am not writing that they are trying to "take you to the cleaners". It all depends on what they stated they will do for you for that $4000.

DUB
Sorry for lack of info.
First the car is a 75
Color is white
Paint job is probably about a 7, got a few more good years left on it
Not sure the hourly rate
Not sure about materials, Ive already purchased the bumpers
Threw a number at me off the cuff basically. Nothing in writing so no hourly breakdown.

And All I want them to do is mount the bumpers, align them, and paint only the bumpers but, blend the paint to the car's current paint. I don't want the bumpers fiberglassed in to look like one piece with the body. I like the look of them having the seams.

Last edited by Afroshacks; 05-15-2014 at 06:04 PM.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:03 PM
DUB
Race Director

Sorry for lack of info.
First the car is a 75
Color is white
Paint job is probably about a 7, got a few more good years left on it
Not sure the hourly rate
Not sure about materials, Ive already purchased the bumpers
Threw a number at me off the cuff basically. Nothing in writing so no hourly breakdown.

And All I want them to do is mount the bumpers, align them, and paint only the bumpers but, blend the paint to the car's current paint. I don't want the bumpers fiberglassed in to look like one piece with the body. I like the look of them having the seams.
Thanks for the reply.

From what you just described to me. I will write this...is that if the paint is in good condition so it can be prepped without a lot of additional repairs...and I am not having to paint over nicks , chips and other issues further away from the front bumper mounting area...I know I could not in good conscience charge you what was given as an estimate price. I am not there..and looking at you paint so see if it is "do-able" as you want. Not attacking you or anything like that...but a painter often times looks at paint much differently than other people who do not paint. Small things in the paint can actually be really big issues....and it is sometimes pointless to shoot paint on a surface that may look good...is not good at all and it would be a total waste of time and money to shoot paint on that surface...but that is also depending if the person doing the work has integrity...or are they out to make a buck.

Also...depending on the mounting flange of your body where the bumpers are going to touch...it will depend on how rough this flange is in regards to the shape...so when the bumper contacts the flange...how wide is the gap (and there will be gaps) and how well does the bumper fit overall.

This is why I will not install a "flex" bumper....as I have written numerous times....I am "old-school" and do bumpers differently and have been doing them way before this new "flex" bumper design was offered. I will only use rigid fiberglass bumpers...but that is just me.

DUB
Old 05-16-2014, 12:56 PM
Afroshacks
Cruising

Thanks for the reply. Wish i could say i was a painter but i cant by any means. I've got another shop in the vicinity that specializes in corvettes. Maybe I'll just have to bite it and have it towed over there for a second estimate. I appreciate your honesty though.
Old 05-16-2014, 05:26 PM
DUB
Race Director

Thanks for the reply. Wish i could say i was a painter but i cant by any means. I've got another shop in the vicinity that specializes in corvettes. Maybe I'll just have to bite it and have it towed over there for a second estimate. I appreciate your honesty though.
For what it is worth..if they can...have them give you the best written estimate possible. i know that "things' can show up when beginning a job...but they can at least cover the obvious stuff.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Tru-flex install quote

Quick Reply: Tru-flex install quote