Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

65 rear deck fiberglass repair

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 09:38 AM
myronf
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 65 rear deck fiberglass repair

I am a novice at best when it comes to working with fiberglass. If you look at my pictures, you will see that the bottom of the "loop" for my passenger side hardtop receiver is broken off. How do you suggest fixing this? Please be specific because I have virtually no experience.

Driver side hardtop side receiver

Passenger side-note that the bottom loop is gone

Thank you
Myron
Old 04-24-2014, 05:45 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I know how to fix this...I know how to tell you how to fix this...what I do not have is the hours and hours of typing to cover all what you need to know and do to fix this area so it is strong.

If you do not get any response from others...to your satisfaction...PM me and I will give you my shop number and you will have to call me....and the call will take less time than me typing till my finger tips bleed.

You are going to have to live with grind paint away...and due to the thickness of this area...it will take numerous lamination's of fiberglass mat and resin...and they will need to be done VERY, VERY, VERY well....with a lot of attention to the amount of resin and fiberglass content. BECAUSE if you just slap something in the hole and re-drill it out...do not be surprised if it fails again....but...then again...maybe it will not.

DUB
Old 04-24-2014, 06:48 PM
steveale
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

agree with dub...very tedious to get it correct. that was my point in the response in the c1/2 forum. how you join the repair to the existing panel will also be critical for strength.

Dub, I hadn't thought about globing in a big wad of fiberglass and then just drilling it out. I guess I learned that hard lesson long ago on my canoes. Sink in a whitewater river because of a bad repair and you learn really fast
Old 04-24-2014, 09:46 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by steveale
I guess I learned that hard lesson long ago on my canoes. Sink in a whitewater river because of a bad repair and you learn really fast
Hahaha did you know why immediately? Or find out after?
Old 04-25-2014, 05:28 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by steveale
very tedious to get it correct. that was my point in the response in the c1/2 forum. how you join the repair to the existing panel will also be critical for strength.
YEP...making sure the transition is correct and the lamination is correct is everything in a repair like this where...IF YOU DON"T...you will be doing it again.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To 65 rear deck fiberglass repair

Quick Reply: 65 rear deck fiberglass repair