Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Chipped rear bumper on my 80. Bumper is molded in.

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 08:17 AM
540 vette
Race Director

Received 298 Likes on 212 Posts

Default Chipped rear bumper on my 80. Bumper is molded in.

My newly painted 80 vette got a nice chip in the rear bumper yesterday while I was working on it. The car is black, basecoat/clear. I just finished the paint and buffing it out about 2 months ago. I have been painting for 35 years so I know my way around a spray gun. I really don't want to have to clear the whole back of the car because of the molded in bumper. I plan on blending the clear in after I basecoat the chip.
Now I have blended clear before and it came out pretty good. You can't tell it is done unless you know the spot.
I was thinking of blending the black and then spraying the rear portion of the bumper. Mask out the edge of the bumper and roll the tape over to get a soft line. Then mask off the rest of the car. I would do the soft line at the top and the sides and then on the line where the bumper is split right below the taillights. I have done this on jambs but never on a spot that is exposed.

Any thoughts on this or any better ideas.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:53 AM
persuader
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts

Sounds like you already may have the repair pretty well covered. Blending color is one thing , Blending clear is another and very difficult to hide and keep from reappearing. But a picture of the damage would be a good idea if your looking for other opinions on repair options.

Last edited by persuader; 04-24-2014 at 09:59 AM.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:55 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I hate to throw a wrench in the "works".

Stopping the clear at the top of the bumper...I can agree with that because you can hide the clear edge in the body line...as for the sides of the bumper....I would always see it.

If it came in my shop....the rear clip would be re-cleared...but that is just me. NOW...with it being your car...and you knowing that the blended edges can show up if left neglected...it is your choice (obviously)

I (personally) would not run a tape line across the bumper above the license plate area...once again...that is just me...I would be able to see the edge....and I am really good at hiding things....but on the exterior of a black car...conditions have to be really right for me to hide a clear line without it being detected.

DUB
Old 04-24-2014, 06:29 PM
tak82
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depending on what paint system your using , they having clears that are better for blending but there is also blending solvents/thinners. I have used PPG's and have had great results but there's always the chance it will show. Idk about other systems but with PPG you don't tape the area, instead you use a second gun and spray the blending thinner on then the clear. The thinner basically melts the existing clear. Talk to your paint rep and ask their opinion. I personally would rather clear the complete panel but sounds as if you know your paint.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:12 PM
540 vette
Race Director

Originally Posted by DUB
I hate to throw a wrench in the "works".

Stopping the clear at the top of the bumper...I can agree with that because you can hide the clear edge in the body line...as for the sides of the bumper....I would always see it.

If it came in my shop....the rear clip would be re-cleared...but that is just me. NOW...with it being your car...and you knowing that the blended edges can show up if left neglected...it is your choice (obviously)

I (personally) would not run a tape line across the bumper above the license plate area...once again...that is just me...I would be able to see the edge....and I am really good at hiding things....but on the exterior of a black car...conditions have to be really right for me to hide a clear line without it being detected.

DUB

I made up my mind this afternoon to clear the whole back. I was going back and forth with it and knew I wouldn't be happy with the results. the paint on this car has been very frustrating. It just seems that the car dosen't want to be painted.

Last edited by 540 vette; 04-24-2014 at 09:26 PM.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:42 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by 540 vette
I made up my mind this afternoon to clear the whole back. I was going back and forth with it and knew I wouldn't be happy with the results. the paint on this car has been very frustrating. It just seems that the car dosen't want to be painted.
Sounds like the right decision to me.. Usually it's the tough jobs that end up coming out the best.
Old 04-25-2014, 02:38 AM
persuader
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts

You have made the right decision.
Old 04-25-2014, 05:35 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by persuader
You have made the right decision.
WITHOUT A DOUBT!!!!! Re-clearing the rear clip would be the ONLY way I could do it.

Not to be condescending...I am glad you came to your senses.
Because like you wrote...you would not be happy. No BETTER FEELING when walking up to your car and KNOW that is is right...versus being paranoid and always looking at the repair area....kicking yourself in the backside...or out at night at the gas station under "those lights" and someone says.."Whats that?" and points to the repair area...then you jump in your car...saying: "WOULDA-COULDA-SHOULDA".

DUB
Old 04-26-2014, 04:24 PM
540 vette
Race Director

Originally Posted by DUB
WITHOUT A DOUBT!!!!! Re-clearing the rear clip would be the ONLY way I could do it.

Not to be condescending...I am glad you came to your senses.
Because like you wrote...you would not be happy. No BETTER FEELING when walking up to your car and KNOW that is is right...versus being paranoid and always looking at the repair area....kicking yourself in the backside...or out at night at the gas station under "those lights" and someone says.."Whats that?" and points to the repair area...then you jump in your car...saying: "WOULDA-COULDA-SHOULDA".

DUB

Dub I am so frustrated with the paint on this car. It came out perfect. I couldn't have asked for a better job. But everytime I turn around something new happens. I molded in the bumpers, the rear one has a ghost line on one side only and the front has one about 3 inches long. I redid the rear one. And it came back. I can't see how. I took the fiberglass 1/2 way down the quarter and all the way to the end of the bumper. I will get it this time. I just hate doing things over.
Old 04-26-2014, 05:49 PM
DUB
Race Director

Dub I am so frustrated with the paint on this car. It came out perfect. I couldn't have asked for a better job. But everytime I turn around something new happens. I molded in the bumpers, the rear one has a ghost line on one side only and the front has one about 3 inches long. I redid the rear one. And it came back. I can't see how. I took the fiberglass 1/2 way down the quarter and all the way to the end of the bumper. I will get it this time. I just hate doing things over.
PM me with what you used to bond the rear and front on.
And then what went on top of the seam afterwards to get the body right..

I have found that it can be in the bumpers themselves due to they are getting thinner and lighter...not like the one I got back in the mid-80's.

I have a few tricks that I have found that seem to work to stop the ghost line popping up.

And not that it matters...I have all but basically stopped bonding the front and rear bumpers. Not because of a seam issue...but it deals in servicing certain parts when needed.

That is if you care for some feedback on it.

DUB
Old 04-27-2014, 12:00 PM
540 vette
Race Director

Originally Posted by DUB
PM me with what you used to bond the rear and front on.
And then what went on top of the seam afterwards to get the body right..

I have found that it can be in the bumpers themselves due to they are getting thinner and lighter...not like the one I got back in the mid-80's.

I have a few tricks that I have found that seem to work to stop the ghost line popping up.

And not that it matters...I have all but basically stopped bonding the front and rear bumpers. Not because of a seam issue...but it deals in servicing certain parts when needed.

That is if you care for some feedback on it.

DUB

Pm sent. Thanks for your help.

Get notified of new replies

To Chipped rear bumper on my 80. Bumper is molded in.

Quick Reply: Chipped rear bumper on my 80. Bumper is molded in.