Question about stripping a C2

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 02:56 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Default Question about stripping a C2

So for a little background I picked up my current 65 project car from a guy who bought it from his long time friends estate after he passed away. We will call this dead guy Fred.

Fred was the second owner of this Glen Green Vette and purchased it in the early 70's drove it hard and put it away wet. He owned a body shop up North in Chicago and at some point in the 80's decided to strip and paint the car but only got as far as removing some of the paint.

Fast forward to 2012 and I became the new owner after this car set in the back of Fred's body shop for 25 plus years.

I'm in the process of removing the remaining paint using Capt Lee's Spara Strip and am coming across some strange things.

After removing the paint I have a noticeable difference between the surface that was stripped by Fred in the 80's and the surface I stripped. Both in color and feel, you can feel the deference between the two surfaces.

Now I assumed Fred used stripper to remove the paint but am beginning to think maybe he used mechanical means and this is why the difference between the old vs. new stripped surfaces.

Ant idea what I have going on and the best approach forward for getting this car ready for paint??????
Attached Images    
Old 04-19-2014, 05:10 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

When you look at the top photo...and then compare it to the bottom photo. In the bottom photo where you see the discoloration in defined lines and shapes...they match what was still on the panel in the above photo.

This is NORMAL. When I strip a panel and allow any stripper to get on a section of the panel that was previously stripped. Usually light block sanding gets rid of it...but then again...I use lacquer thinner and rough steel wool/red scotch-brite to cleanse/scrub the panel further and get all of the stripper/primer and whatever off...because I do not believe in using water.

DUB

Quick Reply: Question about stripping a C2