Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gel coat not primer
Yes bonded
Yes vpa
Old 06-18-2014, 08:30 AM
tgcattle
Racer

The hood scoop was gel coat. Where it was bonded/inlaid I removed material down to bare glass. I used vpa to bond and vpa 870 to fill. Where ever there is body filler I removed material down to bare glass. It appears that body filler is over gel/primer. It does appear to overlap which it does. However After sanding everything smooth the body filler was not on the black area of scoop. I did not take a pic of that step.
Old 06-18-2014, 05:22 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I was concerned that filler was applied on a primer...which is not the correct way of ensuring a good bond for a long time.

DUB
Old 06-20-2014, 08:17 AM
tgcattle
Racer

Ok I have been sanding the high build epoxy primer with 220 on my long board . It has done it's job and hidden a lot of imperfections. I will shoot a couple more coats of primer . Should I shoot a med build or another high build at this point. Would 400 wet after primer be sufficient for sealer ?
Old 06-20-2014, 05:55 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by tgcattle
Ok I have been sanding the high build epoxy primer with 220 on my long board . It has done it's job and hidden a lot of imperfections. I will shoot a couple more coats of primer . Should I shoot a med build or another high build at this point. Would 400 wet after primer be sufficient for sealer ?
I do not use a high build epoxy primer. It all depends on the primer you choose to use....so med or high build primer is up to you. I use a high build polyester primer and I can sand with 400 WET and not have any issues due to the primer I use gets hard...but not so hard that it can not be sanded.

As I often times mention...TEST IT...shoot a small something laying around and sand it and shoot the sealer on it and see what happens.

DUB

Quick Reply: Door jambs