Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

gouged rocker panel

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 03:55 PM
broberts13
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default gouged rocker panel

I gouged a rocker panel into the white fiberglass on a parking lot curb . It is at the bottom where you have to lay on the ground to see it so I'm not much concerned about appearance.
The question is do I need to do anything to seal the fiberglass to prevent further damage? I drive it year round in rain and freezing temperatures.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:38 PM
tak82
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, fiberglass is porous . At the least you could mask off the area and buy a can of Duplicolor paint and primer from a parts store. Not the best repair but better than none.
Old 04-11-2014, 06:07 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Try to get something in the scratches as quickly as possible. This way what ever you apply will adhere.

If using a spray can is not your style...you can use a paint brush so you can isolate the product you are applying and keep it in the scratches.

Spray whatever product you choose into a small cup or container...allow it to thicken a bit by drying for a short time...then using the brush...brush it in the scratches.

DUB
Old 04-12-2014, 11:13 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,251 Likes on 916 Posts

I have done the same thing. What I did was put the car up as high as I could get it on jack stands and filled the gouge sanded, primed and painted with Dupli-Color matching spray paint. Then color sand with #2000 wet/dry, polish with a light polishing compound using a DA buffer. The fix is perfect and not detectable.

Get notified of new replies

To gouged rocker panel

Quick Reply: gouged rocker panel