where to buy

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 10:17 PM
wlean99
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St Jude Donor '14
Default where to buy

hi,Anybody know where to by fiberglass hood scoops that fit a stock c6 corvette,ive tried dozens of sites but seems they all want to sell the entire hood.Or they have crappy ricer looking scoops.Any connections would be deeply appreciated .
Old 04-05-2014, 06:17 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by wlean99
hi,Anybody know where to by fiberglass hood scoops that fit a stock c6 corvette,ive tried dozens of sites but seems they all want to sell the entire hood.Or they have crappy ricer looking scoops.Any connections would be deeply appreciated .
When it comes to hood...from what I have experienced through the years. Adding a scoop to an existing hood can be quite challenging. I KNOW what I am doing and regardless of that fact. If internal structures and or structural integrity of the hood has to be compromised to add a scoop...then the owner is notified and if they still choose to "look cool" and weaken their hood...it is ALL ON THEM...NO GUARANTEE/WARRANTY.

Some hood already have a lot of flex/twist in them...and if a scoop is bonded so no seam is seen...and depending on the scoop itself...a crack can appear over time if the owner is not careful in raising and lowering the hood. You have engine heat and sun beating on this hood...and if the inner structure was not made to aid in preventing any flex so a scoop can be installed....that is when buying a hood that has the scoop made into it is best.

If you can not find one you like...like many of my customers also run into....sometimes they will get different scoops and have be make the one they want...and I can tell you...depending on what needs to be done to achieve this...this is time consuming and QUITE expensive....but they will have what they want and it being the only one out there.

Custom work is NOT cheap...and NOT writing that you are CHEAP...I am just letting you know that if you have someone make one for you...you might choke when they tell you how much it is going to cost.

DUB
Old 04-05-2014, 08:26 PM
wlean99
Melting Slicks

St Jude Donor '14
Default custom hood

Originally Posted by DUB
When it comes to hood...from what I have experienced through the years. Adding a scoop to an existing hood can be quite challenging. I KNOW what I am doing and regardless of that fact. If internal structures and or structural integrity of the hood has to be compromised to add a scoop...then the owner is notified and if they still choose to "look cool" and weaken their hood...it is ALL ON THEM...NO GUARANTEE/WARRANTY.

Some hood already have a lot of flex/twist in them...and if a scoop is bonded so no seam is seen...and depending on the scoop itself...a crack can appear over time if the owner is not careful in raising and lowering the hood. You have engine heat and sun beating on this hood...and if the inner structure was not made to aid in preventing any flex so a scoop can be installed....that is when buying a hood that has the scoop made into it is best.

If you can not find one you like...like many of my customers also run into....sometimes they will get different scoops and have be make the one they want...and I can tell you...depending on what needs to be done to achieve this...this is time consuming and QUITE expensive....but they will have what they want and it being the only one out there.

Custom work is NOT cheap...and NOT writing that you are CHEAP...I am just letting you know that if you have someone make one for you...you might choke when they tell you how much it is going to cost.

DUB
Hi DUB ,thanks for advice ,actually I am a retired auto body /collision guy.I spent 15 years in biz but got out in the early 90s.Its a tough job.So I personally have a lot of respct for those who have made it thier livelihood . AnywayI just stepped up to a 2013 G.S and immediately thought ths stock hood needed a little something I got a real good deal on a factory hood from 1 of the guys on the forum,I have a couple of early 80s z28 side fender vents that I was considering glassing in,but they kinda look small for a center scoop. I may use them off to the sides. But am looking for something in the center. I Dont currently plan on any engine mods so Im not going to chop all the internal support out of the hood.(also am way out of the what bonding adhesive/products are best for this newer type fiberglass.+ these vents are metal.I understand about shrinkage and mixing different types of materials together.Having said that do you have any particular supplier that deals w/ fiberglass hood scoops? Not the whole darn hood? I do plan on channeling and glassing it in so it needs to have extra material on the sides for bonding.Any leads on products would be gratefully accepted,and I will post up my efforts for others to (say they hate,lol).
Old 04-05-2014, 08:43 PM
tak82
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure on what you want style wise but have you looked at Jegs or Summit racing ? ACI in Sylvania Oh are good people and may be able to sell you just the part you need. I just stopped there Thursday. May be worth a call.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:51 PM
wlean99
Melting Slicks

St Jude Donor '14

thanks for leads.Ive loked at jegs and summit racing,not looking for something that is too high.I'll try those other sites,you mentioned.Hood scoop has to have a close profile on the bottom to reasonably fit on hood.Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To where to buy

Quick Reply: where to buy