Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Re-repaint

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 10:05 PM
COYER77
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re-repaint

my 85 vette was originally red i believe but it has been repainted black.
well i work in a fab shop and can get paint and supply's fairly cheap and im wanting to repaint the car black again but the paint is ccraked all over the car.What i need to know is what paint is best to use,how much (quarts)does it usally take,what do i need to get rid of the cracks and keep them from coming back.I am a machinist and fabricator not a painter so if my questions sound silly i apologize.When i ask what paint is best i mean something like base coat clear coat or single stage ect ect.If i could get a complete list of what i need and what would be best i would be very great full if ive missed anything please let me know.
THANKS
Old 04-02-2014, 01:55 PM
540 vette
Race Director

Received 298 Likes on 212 Posts

You will need to get all the paint off. If you paint over the cracks they will come right back.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:59 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by 540 vette
You will need to get all the paint off. If you paint over the cracks they will come right back.

Your "problem" is NOT an easy fix.....especially if you want it to last any length of time.
If you do not have the"know-how", correct tools, space to do it and time...it is best that you let someone who has all of the above to do it. Only because I have seen completely damaged Corvettes when someone tried to save $$$ and do the job themselves with a power tool in their hand. I am not writing that you can not do it...it is IF you WANT to do it...which is something entirely different.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Re-repaint

Quick Reply: Re-repaint