building a buffing tool

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 05:56 PM
gccch
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 35 Posts

Default building a buffing tool

Hi all,

i have a general purpose motor sitting in the basement collecting dust. It's a 110v 1/2 or 3/4 HP motor with a 5/8 keyed shaft. Pretty standard all purpose motor. I was thinking of mounting a large buffing wheel to the shaft, bolting it to a bench and using it to buff the stainless flash chrome trim on my 64.

First thing is I don't know what to call the clamping mechanism needed to hold the buffing wheel in place, and where to get them. I think Graingers call them mounting flange, but they don't seem to list them as accessories. Also, the shaft I have is not threaded, just keyed.

Next, I will need to know what type of mild abrasive to use.

Any advice?
Thanks,
Greg

Last edited by gccch; 03-30-2014 at 06:44 PM.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:13 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I do not know if it will work. Mine is threaded and allows the buffing wheel to be secured to it. It would seem like a sleeve will need to be installed and then having an Allen head set screw or two to lock it on so it will not turn is possible.

As for what to use or buy...I can not remember...but you can go on-line and find companies that will tell you what to use for your intentions. EASTWOOD is a good starting point. You may find that you will need more than one buffing wheel....much like buffing paint...it is not all done with one buffing pad...that is if you are wanting it done correctly...that is. Getting stainless steel and aluminum RIGHT is FUN.

DUB
Old 04-01-2014, 09:43 AM
Ken Sungela
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 648 Likes on 277 Posts

Caswell sells the wheels and polishing compounds.
http://www.caswellplating.com/buffing-polishing.html
Old 04-05-2014, 06:48 PM
gccch
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken Sungela
Caswell sells the wheels and polishing compounds.
http://www.caswellplating.com/buffing-polishing.html
Ken, thanks. That web site had just what I am looking for. In the meantime, I found another interesting solution. I found this ancient table saw on Craigslist which has a motor and proper mounting spindle already for me. I plan to use it to polish up my chrome, then when I am done I plan to put a table top on it and set it in the house for a Buffet. It has some interesting details and once I remove the added motor and wiring should clean up nicely. I'll get my buffing wheels. From the site above.

Greg

Old 04-19-2014, 05:03 PM
hereigo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Buffet/meat cutter....what a concept!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To building a buffing tool

Quick Reply: building a buffing tool