Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Rookie Move!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 01:19 PM
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Rookie Move!!!

I was priming a friends car the other day and it wasn't until I was spraying the front fender inner lip that I realized I had left the tire covers off!!! SO... can someone tell me a good way to remove 2K primer over spray from black powder coated rims? Thanks in advance, Jason
Old 03-29-2014, 04:05 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by 13611
I was priming a friends car the other day and it wasn't until I was spraying the front fender inner lip that I realized I had left the tire covers off!!! SO... can someone tell me a good way to remove 2K primer over spray from black powder coated rims? Thanks in advance, Jason
Different powder coats have different properties but in general they are chemical resistant. I would think your best bet is trying to rub it off with the reducer you used to spray the 2K with. I would try in a small inconspicuous spot first. Powdercoating can not be sanded and buffed. Hope it works for you.
Old 03-29-2014, 06:02 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by 13611
OUCH!!!! Your post heading says it all.
dt86 is CORRECT!

If caught soon enough it can be wiped off with the thinner used for the primer. Quick on and quickly wipe it dry so the solvent can not attack the coating on the wheel.

And for what it is worth. Using tire covers help but do not stop overspray from getting to the wheel from the inside of it...and YES it can happen...and clear is really bad about it. That is why I remove the wheels when it is in the booth and it is supported by jack stands...that way I have no worries that I have to spend time in fixing wheels.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Rookie Move!!!

Quick Reply: Rookie Move!!!