Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

68 door reassembly

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 09:20 PM
CF6873
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Default 68 door reassembly

Hard to believe that it has been 3 1/2 years since I started my repaint project. Any way I'm now trying to get my doors back together. And of course I don't remember in what sequence I removed the various parts.

I have the glass in with the tracks and now I'm trying to figure out how to get the inside whisker strips installed. These are the ones that bolt on the inside edge. With the glass installed it leaves no room to get these in under the mounting surface. And if I install the strips first the glass will not fit into the door.

Can anyone tell me the procedure for getting these in place?

Thanks,

Craig
Old 03-28-2014, 05:17 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

If the clearance between the glass and the door frame where these strips go under it so you can bolt them in....I have removed the door glass from the regulator...and dropped it down that little bit more to get them in and then re-attached the door glass. On a 68 nothing about the doors is fun.

I usually have success in just rolling the nut portion of the strip under the frame of the door while pushing the door glass away...and this also means that I have not installed the outer seals/trim yet also...so I can get the glass to go further away from the door frame area where the inner strips mount. If you are installing the outer window sealing strips..I hope they are not the rubber type...and are the "fuzzy" fabric style...but that is my preference.

Sometimes I can fish the seal down inside the door and then bring it back up to mount it....by using a thin wire attached to it to ease bringing it back up to the top of the door where getting your arm and hand in there is a pain. Many way of doing it...and none of them fun.

DUB
Old 03-30-2014, 07:39 PM
CF6873
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the reply Dub.

I already had the outside fuzzy whiskers installed and I didn't want to remove them. I already had the glass on the regulator and on the tracks.

What I did was unbolt the tracks from the door with the glass rollers still in them and tilt them down out of the way. Then I cranked the glass down as far as it would go.

Then I could feed the inside whisker strip in from the rear of the door and once it was in the door I fished the front of it up with some mech wire.

Then I find out the repro strips have a different thread size than the originals. Any way it is going together slowly.

Craig
Old 03-31-2014, 06:48 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

The main thing is that you are track to completion...which is a GOOD thing.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To 68 door reassembly

Quick Reply: 68 door reassembly