Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Glass rear bumper to body on a C3?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 03:47 PM
obas
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Glass rear bumper to body on a C3?

I need to get some rear body work done on my '75 and would like to get rid of the rear bumper seam. Can the rear bumper be glassed to the body without having to worry about future cracks?

Thanks,
Old 03-26-2014, 06:13 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by obas
I need to get some rear body work done on my '75 and would like to get rid of the rear bumper seam. Can the rear bumper be glassed to the body without having to worry about future cracks?

Thanks,
YES it can...and it takes time... a lot of time....and there is still a chance that the bumper/quarter panel flange at the bottom edge can begin to show a crack in time....which is why i usually keep a bolt in that location.

I used to bond on rear bumpers a lot back in the day...when it was a common practice...but I can tell you....that having the seam and the bumper able to be removed is to your ADVANTAGE...because some service operations go quicker if the bumper can be removed....mainly servicing fuel hoses.

A lot also has to do with the rigid fiberglass bumper (NOT FLEX type) you use to do this. Most companies have lightened them so much by not applying ENOUGH layers of fiberglass when making them...versus the way bumper were made 20 years ago. The bumpers today are lighter and thinner than the earlier ones...that is for sure. So I can bet...that you will have to prep and apply at LEAST 2 layers of 1-1/2 ounce fiberglass mat on the inside of the bumper just to give it some strength. I apply more fiberglass mat when I am installing a bumper and NOT bonding it in and doing away with the seam.

There are some thing that you have to take into account if you do this and the most important one is making sure that when you clamp it in place so it will bond...that you can make sure that there is a gap between the bumper and the body so all of the adhesive does not get "squooshed-out" when you clamp or tighten it during the bonding stage....then depending on the adhesive you use...if it is a 2-part epoxy material...you have to make sure that it gets cut back enough so the seam can be filled in and over with another material...because many of the epoxy adhesives are solvent sensitive. And if the adhesive is left exposed...when you go to prime it...it will swell..or be seen when it gets out in the sun and swells.

DUB
Old 03-26-2014, 09:54 PM
obas
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Thank you for taking the time to provide a detailed response. Sounds like I would be taking considerable risk getting it done. My goal was to paint the tail black, but I am concerned it would look odd with the seam.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...-the-tail.html
Old 03-27-2014, 05:45 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

The bumper can be fitted so well that the seam can be so precise that you could not pass a human hair through it. SO...if that suits you...it can be done because I do it on all rigid fiberglass bumper installs.

I do not want to "scare you" away from doing what you want. And I CAN appreciate you wanting to do away with the seam for the visual effect. I do like the "look" without the seam...but you have to understand that I work on Corvettes...so i also "look" at it in a service-friendly eye also.

Could I service your fuel tank and hoses with the bumper molded in...YES...would it take a lot longer and the procedure that is normally employed need to be changed...YES. So with a modification like this...as long as you understand this and service these HOSES while you are doing the rear bumper now...then you should have years and years of service from them before you have to change them again....and for what it is worth...replace the hoses with the new good type of hose for multiple fuel usage...like a bio-fuel hose from O'Reilly Auto Parts or some place like that...and this hose is also rated for really high pressure...even though you do not need to worry about high pressure...but it is the best I have found when I do the fuel tank hoses.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Glass rear bumper to body on a C3?

Quick Reply: Glass rear bumper to body on a C3?