Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Re clear/coat stock wheels

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 09:13 PM
larryinalabama
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re clear/coat stock wheels

I don't know where to start, I have a 90 with stock aluminum wheels and the clear coat looks bad, has a lot of cracking. The wheels are is perfect condition otherwise.

So how do I get the clear off without damaging the finish?

Then if I can get it off what do I spray back on?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:54 AM
tak82
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know if yours were originally painted or powder coated, either way they can be stripped with an craft stripper then re-coated with a clear lacquer or have them powder coated. Problem is not a lot likes to stick to aluminum without proper cleaning and primer. I stripped and re-polished a set of Dodge 20's from a truck and cleared them with basic lacquer in a shake up can. One took 3 times to get the paint to stick though..They've held up 4 yrs so far. It's a crap shoot going over polished or bare aluminum..
Old 03-23-2014, 09:01 AM
larryinalabama
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks for the reply, the "outer " ring doesn't nave much of a finish, so I guess Ill see what stripper does on a small part.

I once cleared a set of Honeycomb Trans am wheels, but the clear that was on came right off so I didn't do any damage to the aluminum. They turned out nice. The stuff on these vette wheels is on there.

Get notified of new replies

To Re clear/coat stock wheels

Quick Reply: Re clear/coat stock wheels