Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Pinholes problem.

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 10:39 AM
scyzoryk23
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pinholes problem.

I am in the middle of preparing my vette for Slick Sand. I had to straighten the body and fix some damage and I am using vette panel adhesive to do it.
Anyway...I got fair amount of pinholes all over the place. Should I fix them now (how?)...or just spray slick sand over it and worry about it later?
Thanks
Old 03-14-2014, 04:10 PM
markids77
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fix them now. Use a very stiff applicator and smear some VPA into them. The idea is to fill them but not have a great deal of sanding to do to level the areas. Slick Sand might simply bridge over the holes and show up as craters after finish paint as the materials all dry and shrink.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:03 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by markids77
Fix them now. Use a very stiff applicator and smear some VPA into them. The idea is to fill them but not have a great deal of sanding to do to level the areas. Slick Sand might simply bridge over the holes and show up as craters after finish paint as the materials all dry and shrink.

I use a razor blade as an applicator.

DUB
Old 03-15-2014, 11:00 AM
scyzoryk23
Pro

DUB. Will VPA work for this or I will need some sort of glaze etc?
Thanks
Old 03-15-2014, 04:19 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by scyzoryk23
DUB. Will VPA work for this or I will need some sort of glaze etc?
Thanks
Not meaning to be a "smart a$$"...but if you have MANY large pinholes..to the point where a B-B could rest in them...AND...if you worked for me...you would be grinding it all out and re-applying the VPA.

The reason for the pinholes was improper mixing/application techniques due to it being so thick.

The "thing" I fear is that just under the surface...you can have a large pinhole that can "pop" or raise up when it gets hot AFTER you have painted it.

But to answer your question...YES...I use VPA to fill in any minor imperfections and pinholes also....and YES...I also get pinholes...but they are USUALLY super small like a pin *****....and if I do get a large one...the area is ground down to verify if that layer is a poorly mixed/applied batch...or if it is an isolated pinhole.

DUB
Old 03-18-2014, 09:01 AM
scyzoryk23
Pro

Pinholes were very very small in size. 1/32 inch or smaller. I already fix them with VPA like u guys said. Now preparing for epoxy sealer.
I have few questions but I will start another thread about it.
S.

Get notified of new replies

To Pinholes problem.

Quick Reply: Pinholes problem.