Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Bug stains on single stage paint - removal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 01:13 PM
92GTA
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Bug stains on single stage paint - removal?

I have numerous residual "ghost" bug splatter gut stains on the front of a vehicle with shiny new single stage paint. Paint is about 4-5 months old and red.

I tried the Rain-X bug and tar remover soak, I tried simple green, and of course the car wash soap. I am using microfiber cloth but I am afraid of rubbing too much in a circle and leaving marks in the paint.

Can anyone suggest a way to fully 100% remove the bug marks from the paint? BTW, it's modern water born paint, just not clear coated.

Thanks! Alex
Old 03-13-2014, 05:07 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

Sounds like you need to move up to a buffer. I would start with the least abrasive polish/pad since single stage is generally not as durable as a base/clear paint.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:56 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by 92GTA
Can anyone suggest a way to fully 100% remove the bug marks from the paint? BTW, it's modern water born paint, just not clear coated.

Thanks! Alex
So if I read this correctly...you used water born paint and have NO clear on it. That does not make sense...due to no protection for the paint. I know the paint can be buffed and polished to a high shine....but not being a catalyzed paint...it will be forever susceptible to any environmental contaminants.

I can paint a panel in basecoat and let it dry and buff it to a high shine...but it is like old school lacquer...and bird droppings, chemicals, etc will eat into it.

What paint system did you use??????...that would also be great help....because I have used water born paint and I would never send one out without a clear coat.

In my opinion...you have got bigger problems than you think. Who came up with this idea of not clear coating it....because I am not aware of any water born system that can be "stand-alone" and not require a clearcoat...especially on the exterior of a car where it is in contact with "stuff" and the direct sun.

DUB
Old 03-13-2014, 06:14 PM
92GTA
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
So if I read this correctly...you used water born paint and have NO clear on it. That does not make sense...due to no protection for the paint. I know the paint can be buffed and polished to a high shine....but not being a catalyzed paint...it will be forever susceptible to any environmental contaminants.

I can paint a panel in basecoat and let it dry and buff it to a high shine...but it is like old school lacquer...and bird droppings, chemicals, etc will eat into it.

What paint system did you use??????...that would also be great help....because I have used water born paint and I would never send one out without a clear coat.

In my opinion...you have got bigger problems than you think. Who came up with this idea of not clear coating it....because I am not aware of any water born system that can be "stand-alone" and not require a clearcoat...especially on the exterior of a car where it is in contact with "stuff" and the direct sun.

DUB
It's a brand new Ducati 899 so ask Ducati lol.

I'm simply asking for help. I posted here because I've been a member for like 12yrs and I know allot of our old vettes are single stage, although not water born....

After applying some decals this summer I plan on having it clear coated but I need to keep it as nice as possible until then.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:38 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by 92GTA
It's a brand new Ducati 899 so ask Ducati lol.

I'm simply asking for help. I posted here because I've been a member for like 12yrs and I know allot of our old vettes are single stage, although not water born....

After applying some decals this summer I plan on having it clear coated but I need to keep it as nice as possible until then.
Single stage paint is catalyzed. So it will fight against crud and what-have-you. It is NOT the same as water born.

If you have bugs that have eaten into it or has left a mark...and it is a Ducati...than possibly buffing it will work...but that also has a lot to do with how much paint is on it and how much it will have to be buffed/polished to achieve the look you are wanting to achieve....as previously mentioned by Dt86.

Call Ducati and find out what is up....because if you polish it....and it is a water born paint...it does not make sense that it was not clear coated being a single stage paint.

Also...you initial post is misleading...it came across like you just painted it....and if it a factory finish...maybe you should have mentioned it is FACTORY applied.

If you plan on putting stickers on it...do not worry about it because it will have to be sanded and re-painted with some color anyway...because just thinking that you will be able to shoot clear on it is highly unlikely.

And for what it is worth. I was offering you information from my profession...so do not get an attitude. If what I wrote does not suit your needs...I was "reading into" what you wrote which makes no sense. And I was not wanting to have YOU have any problems in the future.....EXCUSE ME for actually giving crap about your problem. BECAUSE if you knew what I know...you would not have had to post your problem...which is WHY I replied the way I did because I CARE to actually help people out with problems....BUT...sometimes....it seems to not help at all.

DUB
The following users liked this post:
lakerider57 (12-07-2020)
Old 12-03-2020, 09:27 AM
jrial
Cruising

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
And for what it is worth. I was offering you information from my profession...so do not get an attitude. If what I wrote does not suit your needs...I was "reading into" what you wrote which makes no sense. And I was not wanting to have YOU have any problems in the future.....EXCUSE ME for actually giving crap about your problem. BECAUSE if you knew what I know...you would not have had to post your problem...which is WHY I replied the way I did because I CARE to actually help people out with problems....BUT...sometimes....it seems to not help at all.
DUB
The guy said nothing wrong, no need for all this hysteria.

Get notified of new replies

To Bug stains on single stage paint - removal?

Quick Reply: Bug stains on single stage paint - removal?