Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Windshield frame

Old 03-10-2014, 09:28 PM
ftf396
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Windshield frame

Hello fellas, first post in this section. I was lying on my back in the drivers side floorboard looking up trying to do some electrical when I saw this rusty hole in the top of the frame. I know it's a loaded question but can anyone give a ballpark on cost for a good body shop to replace the frame assuming that all that's needed? I'm not a body man no way I'd attempt it myself but would like to have some idea so I won't get rooked.
Thanks for your input.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:40 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Key information is left out.
What year is your car???

I would need to see a photo of this rust hole.

This type of repairs is quite costly...depending on where it is located....and what other rust is found when attempting to repair this spot.

DUB
Old 03-15-2014, 07:58 PM
ftf396
Instructor

Originally Posted by DUB
Key information is left out.
What year is your car???

I would need to see a photo of this rust hole.

This type of repairs is quite costly...depending on where it is located....and what other rust is found when attempting to repair this spot.

DUB
Sorry for the late response. It is a 71 convert. I was reading a thread in another section in this forum in which you had a post about the same basic question and I think I got my answer, not cheap no matter how small an area.
Thanks
Old 03-16-2014, 05:19 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by ftf396
Sorry for the late response. It is a 71 convert. I was reading a thread in another section in this forum in which you had a post about the same basic question and I think I got my answer, not cheap no matter how small an area.
Thanks
FOR WHAT IT IS WORTH:

In my opinion...when it comes to stopping water leaks or repairing rust that was OBVIOUSLY caused by water leaks. It is almost IMPERATIVE the the water leak needs to be stopped at the point of entry. Simply goo-ing up the inside of your car is pointless. You "might" stop the water from getting in the car...YEAH!!!....but what you can easily cause is a problem that will surface that is much worse due to the water is now having to time to stay and collect and EAT MORE STEEL....which can result in a MAJOR CLUSTER you know what.

DUB
Old 03-16-2014, 08:34 PM
ftf396
Instructor

Originally Posted by DUB
FOR WHAT IT IS WORTH:

In my opinion...when it comes to stopping water leaks or repairing rust that was OBVIOUSLY caused by water leaks. It is almost IMPERATIVE the the water leak needs to be stopped at the point of entry. Simply goo-ing up the inside of your car is pointless. You "might" stop the water from getting in the car...YEAH!!!....but what you can easily cause is a problem that will surface that is much worse due to the water is now having to time to stay and collect and EAT MORE STEEL....which can result in a MAJOR CLUSTER you know what.

DUB
I agree with you. Rust needs water to live and grow and rust doesn't disappear on its own. Stop the leak but the damage will always be there.
Fortunately mine hasn't seen rain in 14 years. When I took off the side panels and passenger side dash 10 years ago to do a little restore I only saw superficial rust. So hopefully my worst problem is confined to the top of the windshield area. Haven't had a chance to check
yet.
ftf396
Old 03-17-2014, 05:53 PM
DUB
Race Director

I agree..one you have rust in an area that is hard to access...trying to prevent what makes rust grow is now important. Especially when you can not see the extent of the rust...it then is a guessing game.

Do not forget about oxygen or air. It takes all three to make rust...bare ferrous metal, water and air. Take anyone away...the rust can not grow...so-to-speak.....which is why cars in the dry desert (really, really low humidity) do not rust down to the ground as fast as a car in my area would.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Windshield frame

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Windshield frame