Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Two Questions???

Old 03-09-2014, 04:33 PM
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Two Questions???

1. I've primed and blocked, primed and blocked and got it nice and straight. I've primed again and plan on a final wet sand. Question is... What's the best way to wet sand without risking putting waves in the body? I've only ever wet sanded with a small block?

2. What is the best masking tape to use for stripes? Looking for a super sharp edge.

Thanks, Jason
Old 03-09-2014, 04:47 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 295 Posts

I haven't painted in years.. But back when I did, when working on a corvette? (Usually the bosses) we would use a squeegee or a block.. to keep it flat.. This includes the color sand/buff, btw.. and it looked like a million dollars.

Blocking primer, I always preferred to wrap the paper around a paint mixing stick so I could "warp" it a little for contour.

As far as tape goes, there is (Or used to be, I'm sure it's still out there) a 3m "fine line" tape that is made just for masking graphics, stripes and sharp edges.

It's a blue plastic looking stuff and it does a good job.. Be careful peeling the tape off, btw.
Old 03-09-2014, 05:35 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

YES.to what confab wrote. i also sue a wood paint stick...the type you get from a home improvement store for a 5 gallon bucket. They are much thicker than a regular paint stick. I cut it just a little shorter than the sand paper and wrap it and sand away.

I also use straight cut sections of radiator hoses and heater hoses if needed....also semi-rigid foam pads are used.

It is all in technique. I also use the 3M #5861 "dry guide coat" and use it to make sure I have the panel sanded completely.

Then...when I get it inside so I can use my lights in the paint booth...I use my wax and grease remover and begin wiping the car down...and doing a small section at a time...I use the reflection of my light bulbs in the wet finish to look and see that I have NO sand scratches or grooves cut into the primer by the paint stick being run across the panel at the wrong angle WHILE I AM DRYING IT. Then if I find anything..I fix it and move on until the entire car is completed.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Two Questions???

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Two Questions???