Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

A crack or two

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 10:31 AM
69mako
Race Director

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Default A crack or two

While redoing the interior on my 94' I discovered a crack in the floor boards. Passenger side is about 3.5" long, the drivers side is a punched hole.

Its been about 20 years since I worked with fiberglass, what are the better materials out now on the market and what would recommend?
-Thanks, Larry

Driver's side punched hole in outboard corner

Pass side protective pan plate pushed up into floor board
Pass side crack in foot well -out board forward corner

Last edited by 69mako; 03-09-2014 at 10:38 AM.
Old 03-09-2014, 05:43 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I would repair form the inside. It is a toss up on what to use. You can use West Systems epoxy resin and mat and laminate it from the inside...or you can get a hold of LORD FUSOR and see what they recommend. Usually using a 2-part adhesive will require the use of a special applicator gun which can be expensive.

It is not a a serious structural problem due to the area is somewhat confined from what you can see in the photo's you posted..

The metal plate that is damaged with the rivets in it ...is also glued and NOT just riveted. SO if the ding in it is that much of an issue to you...you will have to really heat up this plate after removing the pop-rivets to get the glue to release....if my memory serves me correctly.

DUB
Old 03-10-2014, 01:09 PM
69mako
Race Director

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks for the input Dub -West Systems epoxy resin and mat is what I will go with, I was looking at West while I was researching the material. They were receiving good reveiws.

I ground out the cracks yesterday. Now I'm waiting for the air temps to warm up....then its fun time for the floor boards. I'll post images as I progress.

Get notified of new replies

To A crack or two

Quick Reply: A crack or two