Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

1954 paint

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 06:17 PM
mkh
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 30 Posts

Default 1954 paint

Hi, I have very good success striping the 54 with captain lees. the issue I am having is removing the factory brown primer. Is it ok to leave the factory primer on the car and just prime over it? The brown primer is almost impossible to remove. I have used laquer thinner and acetone with maroon scotch brite pads but it takes a ton of time and scrubbing. Thanks.
Mike
Old 03-01-2014, 04:38 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

YEP...that is what it takes and I would not leave it on.

Have you tried a small spot with the Captain Lee's and see if it softens it up so it can be scrubbed off? If it is not...or it takes forever to soften it up a bit...you might need to use a stronger strength stripper.

This is why I have mentioned using really rough steel wool. It does not hurt the fiberglass but will aid in getting this stuff off.

Also..it is a waste of money to use acetone to remove this primer. Stay with and automotive grade lacquer thinner and NOT some stuff form a hardware store.

I do not use Captain Lee's. The stripper I use is really not made for fiberglass....but it contains the same chemicals...but just stronger. The only "trick" to using it is PAYING ATTENTION...and that is about it...along with getting it off the panel when it is completed....like you would do with any stripper.

DUB
Old 03-01-2014, 11:17 PM
mkh
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
YEP...that is what it takes and I would not leave it on.

Have you tried a small spot with the Captain Lee's and see if it softens it up so it can be scrubbed off? If it is not...or it takes forever to soften it up a bit...you might need to use a stronger strength stripper.

This is why I have mentioned using really rough steel wool. It does not hurt the fiberglass but will aid in getting this stuff off.

Also..it is a waste of money to use acetone to remove this primer. Stay with and automotive grade lacquer thinner and NOT some stuff form a hardware store.

I do not use Captain Lee's. The stripper I use is really not made for fiberglass....but it contains the same chemicals...but just stronger. The only "trick" to using it is PAYING ATTENTION...and that is about it...along with getting it off the panel when it is completed....like you would do with any stripper.

DUB
Yep. That does it. I resprayed the brown primer with Captain lees and the scrubbed it with a scotch brite pad and it comes off fairly easy. Just takes a little time. The white fiberglass looks so nice I thought of just clearing over it.
Thanks for the tip. I dont know why I did not try it before.
Mike
Old 03-02-2014, 05:25 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by mkh
Yep. That does it. I resprayed the brown primer with Captain lees and the scrubbed it with a scotch brite pad and it comes off fairly easy. Just takes a little time. The white fiberglass looks so nice I thought of just clearing over it.
Thanks for the tip. I dont know why I did not try it before.
Mike
Mike,
Glad it worked out.

******SERIOUSLY JOKING********

Instead of clearing over it...just wipe down the stripped fiberglass with tire shine...that way you would not have to EVER worry about re-clearing it....or anything sticking to it...EVER....maybe except for dust, bird feathers, grass clippings and pollen.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To 1954 paint

Quick Reply: 1954 paint