Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

single stage or two stage

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 07:51 PM
old stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts

Thanks to DUB for more good info.and tips.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:15 PM
Dale002
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Sorry to hear about your back issues, This is a subject that's close to my heart as I have had 4 back surgery and have damage nerves as well. In fact my doctor disabled me 8 years ago at the prime of my earning career. It was disastrous. I became passive and thought I would never be ever to work on my own cars again. I thought life was now living on a recliner and a cane would be my best friend. After 4 years of doing this and watching myself fall close and closer to my grave, I decided that I was going to do my dream project even if I killed me, because I knew if I didn't I would die.
I started searching for a C1 to resto mod. I spoke with my doctors and surgeons and they all agreed that it was a good idea as long as I work smart. After finding the car I started acquiring all the tools and equipment to make the job do able and allow me to work as a professional rather than a back yard shade guy lifting trannys with my back and so on. I started this project on august 2010 and I'm still at it not sure when I will be done but then I have no completion date. it will be done when its done. Since, my back and will has gotten much stronger. I feel much better. I still watch myself and take care of myself and sometimes I go weeks without touching my project because I don't feel up to speed ,but I don't let that discourage me and I use that time to plan and learn by browsing this forum. I feel that if people without legs can climb mountains I could restore a car. Sorry for the long post but the idea is that don't feel that you can't do things. Maybe not the same as before but in a new way because after all you now need to rediscover your limits. Best of luck.

Last edited by Dale002; 06-27-2014 at 11:20 PM.
Old 06-28-2014, 06:09 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I myself also hope you get well.

And I am not by any means writing that doctors do not know anything...because that would be foolish....but a doctor I know very well tells me..."We do practice medicine....and I have seen things that just do not make sense in peoples recoveries".

Best of luck in your health and fortune.

DUB
Old 06-29-2014, 01:36 PM
craneman61!
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the encouragement guys. Not going to lay down and waste away. Car is at a local shop now to be painted. When I get it back I am pulling the the interior and redoing it all. I have already figured out I have to find new ways to do old things. Also figured out it now takes twice as long as before. With the help from the people on this forum, the help from my wife and the help from the good Lord everything is going to work out.

Everyone please be safe on this coming holiday weekend. Don't want to hear of anyone having anything but a good time.

THANKS AGAIN
Old 07-07-2014, 12:10 PM
TWINRAY
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by craneman61!
Thanks for all the encouragement guys. Not going to lay down and waste away. Car is at a local shop now to be painted. When I get it back I am pulling the the interior and redoing it all. I have already figured out I have to find new ways to do old things. Also figured out it now takes twice as long as before. With the help from the people on this forum, the help from my wife and the help from the good Lord everything is going to work out.

Everyone please be safe on this coming holiday weekend. Don't want to hear of anyone having anything but a good time.

THANKS AGAIN
Good luck with your health and your project
Old 08-16-2014, 09:27 AM
craneman61!
Instructor

Just an update. Car is at paint shop. Looks like they are doing a great job. I got to know the owner pretty well in some dealings I had with him before. Good guy. Gave me a good deal on paint job. If i get it back before Friday the 22nd I will try to post pictures. If later than Friday it may be a couple of weeks delay. That Friday I am scheduled to have a double by-pass. Got two arteries blocked. People have told me getting old is a bitch. Not real happy about getting old but it is better than the alternative.
Old 08-16-2014, 05:31 PM
DUB
Race Director

Just an update. Car is at paint shop. Looks like they are doing a great job. I got to know the owner pretty well in some dealings I had with him before. Good guy. Gave me a good deal on paint job. If i get it back before Friday the 22nd I will try to post pictures. If later than Friday it may be a couple of weeks delay. That Friday I am scheduled to have a double by-pass. Got two arteries blocked. People have told me getting old is a bitch. Not real happy about getting old but it is better than the alternative.
Best of luck in all that you have going on. You have a good attitude and that means a lot. You will do just fine. My Dad went in for a triple and had a quad done and he said that he never felt better when he healed.

DUB
Old 08-16-2014, 09:45 PM
craneman61!
Instructor

Originally Posted by DUB
Best of luck in all that you have going on. You have a good attitude and that means a lot. You will do just fine. My Dad went in for a triple and had a quad done and he said that he never felt better when he healed.

DUB
Thanks Dub. I believe my wife is more worried than I am. I hope they can give her a chill pill because I am not a good patient. All my life I have just gone head first into everything I encountered. Never took the time to smell the roses. I think my body is telling me to slow down. I am pretty sure when this is over I will retire. Don't think I will have much choice.
Old 08-17-2014, 09:15 AM
porchdog
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

best wishes for your recovery .
Old 08-18-2014, 08:13 AM
929nitro
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

I had a double bypass 10 years ago. After about 2 months I was back to whatever I wanted to do, changing motors in cars, building decks going fishing. Let your body be your guide. Life as you know it does not have to stopjust be sensible and work into it. After a month and a half I started racking leaves, lasted about 10 minutes and started feeling tired rested about a half hour and started again lasted about 20 minutes. Two days later I was building a 24 x 8 foot deck at my campsite which took me a week but I never worked to the point of getting any pains from the surgery or from my heart. Just work smart and listen to your body.
Best of luck in your upcoming surgery and a new lease on life.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:23 AM
porchdog
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

being limited is hard to get use to . i'm a big fellow and have never been limited on what i do . now after my surgery i just cant go like i use to . it has been a hard pill to swallow. i've seen some that after bypass could get right back after it in a few months some even faster. hard to believe . but it is important to get healed up some before you get after it . hopefully you can return to your normal routine . from all i've heard you will be amazed at how bad you felt and didn't know it . good luck .
Old 09-05-2014, 07:41 PM
craneman61!
Instructor

Today it has been 2 weeks since my surgery. I ended up with a quad. Today I have felt pretty good. Best day since surgery. You are right about taking it easy. Doesn't take much to get tired. Doing breathing exercise and walking can tire you out. I want to thank everyone for the info and encouragement. I doubt I will ever go back to work. I am 65 now and will probably go ahead and retire.
Haven't gotten the car back yet. I told the people doing it no hurry since I have at least 4 more weeks before I can drive.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:55 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

Today it has been 2 weeks since my surgery. I ended up with a quad. Today I have felt pretty good. Best day since surgery. You are right about taking it easy. Doesn't take much to get tired. Doing breathing exercise and walking can tire you out. I want to thank everyone for the info and encouragement. I doubt I will ever go back to work. I am 65 now and will probably go ahead and retire. Haven't gotten the car back yet. I told the people doing it no hurry since I have at least 4 more weeks before I can drive.
Glad that the surgery went well and you're getting back on your feet. Take it slow and regain your strength. Retirement sounds like a good idea. Relax and enjoy life. Maybe down the road when you're feeling better you can go back and work some more if you want to. Hope your car will be ready when you are.
Old 09-06-2014, 05:47 PM
DUB
Race Director

SO GLAD that you are OK and on the way tor recovery.

DUB
Old 11-07-2014, 08:46 PM
craneman61!
Instructor

I am back at work now. Very limited so I am in the office all day. Can't pick up anything over 10 pounds. Driving me crazy but should be a short trip since I think I am almost there now. I should be able to do anything I want after Nov. 22nd. Got the car back. Looks great to me. I will start on interior late this month (I hope). I have a bad day every now and then, more mental than physical, but try not to let it get me down. Not being able to do what you used to do with no issues changes your whole life. I am making it through with no major issues though. I want to thank everyone for their advice, encouragement and sharing their own experiences. It really helps. THANKS AGAIN
Old 11-08-2014, 01:07 AM
Dale002
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Glad to hear your doing better. Pace yourself the car will always be there. Looking forward to seeing new pictures.
Old 11-08-2014, 04:16 PM
DUB
Race Director

Glad to read you are further down the road to recovery.

DUB
Old 11-12-2014, 09:24 AM
929nitro
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Glad to hear your recovery is going well. Be patient and listen to your body, it is the best indicator of how much you can and can't do. Be well!

Quick Reply: single stage or two stage