Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Interior paint or formula

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 12:52 AM
rham
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interior paint or formula

I need to paint the steering column in my 78, went to the local PPG dealer and was told they do not have the formula for interior paint for this. I have seen some companies that sell the vinyl dye but I am sure that the column is paint. Any ideas where to find it. It is Oyster.

Thanks
Randy
Old 03-28-2013, 09:28 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

You can use the aerosol dye/paint. depending on how well you prep the column. Apply it light and NO HEAVY COATS.

You can go back to your paint supplier and ask to see their "white variant deck"....they should have one and you should find a color very close to your oyster.

You can call...1-800-647-6050. Press 1 for English... then press 1....then press 2(color library)...then press 0 (trademark agreement)...then tell them you would like the PPG formula for the oyster... because they will have it in the archives...where your paint store will not have that data. Have then e-mail or fax the formula to you. If they won't...which I do not now why. Then have you paint supplier call them and get the formula.

DUB
Old 03-28-2013, 10:54 PM
rham
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info Dub. What type of paint is in the aeresol cans, and will it hold up?

Randy
Old 03-28-2013, 11:21 PM
20mercury
Melting Slicks

Received 568 Likes on 445 Posts

Default One data point for you.

Dub knows more about paint than I will ever know.

But here is one data point for you. I sprayed my interior parts in my 76 with light buckskin with Mid America spray paint or interior dye and it worked great. Still looks good after 2 or 3 years. Interior parts sprayed included steering column, kick panels, lower column cover, rear center console, ect, all of the hard plastic parts. I want to remember there was a prep spray too or promoter? ck Mid America catalog for details. Also I washed everything with Dawn first too, and the steering column I cleaned up the best I could without getting it wet inside.

Anyway, worked great, looks great and the stuff certainly adhered well. Even the steering column looked new in the area worn from the ignition key chain.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by 20mercury; 03-28-2013 at 11:23 PM.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:27 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by rham
What type of paint is in the aeresol cans, and will it hold up?

Randy
Truthfully . I honestly cannot remember what I have read on the label of ingredients. I DO KNOW that an aerosol interior paint/dye it is a non-activated product...thus using no hardener to make it get hard...thus makes it able to be removed with a solvent. BUT REMEMBER...the dye used on parts from the factory does the same thing. AND YES...it will work and last for a long time...and wear about the same and have good color hold-out.

The ONLY ISSUE I have with the aerosol interior paints/dyes is/are that the curing of the product can possibly make your interior be quite "fumy" for some time. And this is even with me allowing the parts that were dyed to be outside in the sun and shade for a few days. But when I get the color mixed and sprayed out of my gun...the fumes seem to be not as strong and make it so when I go out to the car...with the windows up and outside in the sun....when I jump in the car the fumes do not make me cough or darn near get a head buzz.

Nothing wrong with the aerosol products for interior colors that are being sold my the major Corvette suppliers. I use them, will continue to use them ( if needed) without any regret.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Interior paint or formula

Quick Reply: Interior paint or formula