Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Paint over decal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 08:36 PM
Druzac
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint over decal?

Needing advice.....I have a '82 model with the original paint in really good shape. The hood decal which is gray is in pretty bad shape, with the top coat really fading.

I don't want to repaint the car and loose it's original paint. Is there any easy way to remove the hood stripe without screwing up the paint, or can I repaint (with original colors) the vinyl decal stripe.

I suppose another option would be to get a new decal stripe and try to apply directly on top of the old decal?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.....
Old 03-15-2013, 02:55 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

I think you're going to have some issues to deal with, no matter what route you choose. First, I'm 99.99% sure that painting over the decal won't work. The solvents from the paint will likely eat up the decal, and you'll have a big mess.

My suggestion would be to try gentle application of heat, and it should soften up the decal so you can peel it off. Most likely, you'll be left with a "shadow", where the paint didn't fade, because it was protected by the decal. However, if you can careully apply a new decal, the effect will be negligible.

(I seem to recall seeing a special buffing wheel, made by 3M, just for removing vinyl graphics. You might try a body shop supply house)
Old 03-15-2013, 06:41 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I agree with "leadfoot4"

You can clear over a decal....BUT...NOT the hood decal of your 82. The reason being that it is too large. Clearing over pinstripes is OK...but the surface area of your hood decal is too much...and you can run into a delamination of the clear over time.

3M does make a eraser for decals. Use at low speeds and you should not have any issues. Run your tool too fast...and stay in one spot too long and you can burn the paint.

Or:

You can apply heat to remove the decal. Allow the paint to cool and use 3M's adhesive remover and remove the glue ( which can get messy).

If it is a Collectors Edition...I would NOT advise paint the fade out effect to your hood. The color is unique...and trying to get the blend to look correct is a ROYAL PAIN...BEEN THERE...DONE THAT! VERY TOUCHY PROCESS...if you are looking for a perfect job.

DUB
Old 03-17-2013, 12:35 AM
Druzac
5th Gear

Thanks for the advice everyone. I was looking for the "easy" way out, but like everything else, don't look like there is such a thing. Gonna sit back and take a look and see if I want to mess with it at all, since it is a survivor car and that adds a little character. Thanks again.

Druzac
Old 03-18-2013, 08:54 AM
Barryga
Advanced

Originally Posted by Druzac
Needing advice.....I have a '82 model with the original paint in really good shape. The hood decal which is gray is in pretty bad shape, with the top coat really fading.

I don't want to repaint the car and loose it's original paint. Is there any easy way to remove the hood stripe without screwing up the paint, or can I repaint (with original colors) the vinyl decal stripe.

I suppose another option would be to get a new decal stripe and try to apply directly on top of the old decal?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.....

If you decide to clear the whole hood, any good clear will work just fine.
This is done everyday on 70's Trans-ams where the eagle is 90% of the hood and never an issue, I personally have done 3 of these over the last 15 years myself.
Proper prep= Wetsand hood but not decal, clean with a solvent borne wax and grease remover and on old decals I allways recommend, letting set over night, then clear.
Polyol actually will stick better to the decal then a base, you fgood to go.

Get notified of new replies

To Paint over decal?

Quick Reply: Paint over decal?