Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Bonding Duraflex and Fiberglass?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 12:38 AM
demorial
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bonding Duraflex and Fiberglass?

Hi with no success of getting help in the C5 section i'll turn to Paint/Body.

My name is Mike and i'm from Sweden , so i apologize in advance for my poor English.

Anyhow I've recently bought a pair of Duraflex front fenders and unfortunately they came with some defects. So my plan is to cut out the scoop on the Duraflex fenders and bond them with the OEM fenders.

Is there anybody who knows if this is possible and what type of bonding adhesive i should use?

If you don't know the adhesive to use, please give advice regarding which body shop i could email to get this information. Because Duraflex is unfortunately a material Swedish body shops doesn't have much experience of.

Thanks!

// Mike
Old 02-19-2013, 07:26 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

If my memory serves me correctly...your factory front fenders should be plastic....or at least many of the early C5's were plastic that I have worked on in the past. AND if they are. I professionally would not even attempt to bond the flexible fiberglass fender sections to them Although there are some bonding adhesives that would adhere them together...the effort and possible delamination, swelling, shrinking issues would make it not worth my time in doing this modification.

NOW...if your fenders are made out of SMC...then FUSOR might have an adhesive that would allow the sectioning to be possible. A lot of time and effort will be needed so that any of the seams do not show up in the future. A touchy repair/modification...especially if you are looking for a GREAT repair with no problems in the future.

DUB

Quick Reply: Bonding Duraflex and Fiberglass?