Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

What grit paper just prior to primer

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 10:35 PM
Wade Mahaffey
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Default What grit paper just prior to primer

I am preparing a 58 body for paint. The body is down to raw glass. What grit paper should I finish with just prior to epoxy primer or spray polyester? And which of these two is best?...pros and cons

Thanks, Wade
Old 01-04-2013, 09:21 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Disclaimer: I'm not a pro, I can only share what we did on mine.

The raw panels were scuffed with 80 grit dry before the first coat of primer. The primer was 2K urethane. The primer was blocked with 220 wet, then 320 and finally 400. Additional coats of primer were shot during blocking.

I have no experience with epoxy primer or spray polyester, so can't comment on that. We used PPG K36, which I thought worked really well.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:17 AM
rogman16
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by zwede
Disclaimer: I'm not a pro, I can only share what we did on mine.

The raw panels were scuffed with 80 grit dry before the first coat of primer. The primer was 2K urethane. The primer was blocked with 220 wet, then 320 and finally 400. Additional coats of primer were shot during blocking.

I have no experience with epoxy primer or spray polyester, so can't comment on that. We used PPG K36, which I thought worked really well.

Same process and products for me... Sometimes I jumped from 320 straight to 600, but it depended on how well the guide coat sanded out... K36/K201 are great products, expensive, but very easy to work with...

Rogman
Old 01-05-2013, 08:10 AM
porchdog
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

pm sent
Old 01-05-2013, 08:22 PM
Wade Mahaffey
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks fellas

How did an ad get into my post on this thread?

Wade Mahaffey
Old 01-05-2013, 09:30 PM
rogman16
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Wade Mahaffey
Thanks fellas

How did an ad get into my post on this thread?

Wade Mahaffey
Wade--

I don't see an ad, when I look at the post... Another option is to send Lars an email v8fastcars@msn.com and ask him for his paint and body paper!!! Lars is famous for his tech papers... Gives you step-by-step directions, and product recommendations...

You'll get a myriad of responses from folks on the forum and just remember, there is no one perfect way to tackle your project... Some professionals have had good luck with epoxy products and some prefer Acrylic Urethane (K36) surfacers like Zwede and I used... I like Zwede, am not a professional... I did this type of work 28+ years ago before I joined the Air Force, but am by no means a pro, like some that will give you their recommendations... Lot's of good guys on here that do this for a living, so you would be wise to give their recommendations a lot of credence...

You'll need to decide which system works best for you and your project... My only other suggestion would be to follow the manufacturers recommendations for mixing and spraying of whatever type and brand of products you decide to use...

Please keep us posted on your progress and would love to see some pictures of your project...

Rogman
Old 01-06-2013, 06:25 PM
mikes6c
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i will not prime over less then a 180 grit . The shop i work at only used Sandy Sprayable polyester filler on glass cars
Old 01-24-2013, 10:12 AM
Spraygun
Tech Contributor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like polyester over a good course substrate ( at least 80 ) Also check your polyester product for gun fluid nozzle recommendations. I use 2mm RP gun and get a nice finish, using a fluid nozzle much smaller can have you priming so slow you can't keep a wet edge or ending up with a gritty finish.

SG

Get notified of new replies

To What grit paper just prior to primer

Quick Reply: What grit paper just prior to primer