How do I paint this?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 04:53 PM
cbernhardt
Safety Car

Received 836 Likes on 456 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Default How do I paint this?

Below are pictures of my primered hood ('59 Corvette). In the red outlined insert you can see that there is not much room between the top of the hood and the bottom of the scoop (approximately 3"). All my spray guns are top feed HVLP and they are just too big to fit. Most of the hard to reach areas will be painted flat black. Any suggestions for a good way to spray paint the areas between the top of the hood and scoop, especially the underside of the scoop and where they come together on the sides? Would one of the small airbrush guns work?
Old 11-24-2011, 05:46 PM
Dave Tracy
Melting Slicks

Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

I'm a novice but that looks tough! Be careful not to have it too thick and allow enough flash time between coats so the paint won't lift. It looks like the primer is good. Good luck.
Old 11-24-2011, 05:48 PM
CF6873
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I would use a mini gun or detail gun. You will have to lay it horizontal and turn the fan as narrow as possible. Then just dust it in there until you have it covered. You will have take precaution that paint does not leak out of the cap vent while on it's side.

Since you are using flat black it will be hard to see if it is not perfect.

Craig
Old 11-24-2011, 10:28 PM
markids77
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It appears there is an opening from the underside of the scoop. That is a good thing since you can squirt some color from that direction as well. Is your paint a solid or metallic? I would experiment using a detail gun (top cup OK) and some over reduced color... perhaps building a couple test scoops out of cardboard sealed with primer? Once you determine you can do it, and I think you can consider how you'll need to set the hood up on paint day so you can access both sides of the panel, and maybe even be able to stand it up vertically (hint hint) so you can spray down into it from above/below.

Last edited by markids77; 11-24-2011 at 10:29 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-25-2011, 06:31 AM
cbernhardt
Safety Car

Received 836 Likes on 456 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by markids77
It appears there is an opening from the underside of the scoop. That is a good thing since you can squirt some color from that direction as well. Is your paint a solid or metallic? I would experiment using a detail gun (top cup OK) and some over reduced color... perhaps building a couple test scoops out of cardboard sealed with primer? Once you determine you can do it, and I think you can consider how you'll need to set the hood up on paint day so you can access both sides of the panel, and maybe even be able to stand it up vertically (hint hint) so you can spray down into it from above/below.
Paint is a single stage, non-metallic, SEM Hot Rod Black.
Here is a picture of the underside of the hood before primer. There is a rather large opening which allows some access to the hard to reach places. When I primered the hood I tried holding it on edge and that did allow some access. Guess I just need a small detail gun.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:59 PM
Spraygun
Tech Contributor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would use a PPS cup system and turn gun upside down and pull trigger till all air is out of cup. Then you can spray upside down. If you only have a full size gun close fan all the way and close fluid **** till you get a small round pattern you can use. By the looks of it I would hang it and shoot it from underneath, dust your flat black till you get coverage. if you get a heavy spot, stop and let it flash and resume. Shouldn't be too hard, I painted industrial equipment for a bit, those things had hundreds of angles and hidden surfaces.

SG
Old 11-28-2011, 04:54 AM
monocat
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spraygun
I would use a PPS cup system and turn gun upside down and pull trigger till all air is out of cup. Then you can spray upside down. If you only have a full size gun close fan all the way and close fluid **** till you get a small round pattern you can use. By the looks of it I would hang it and shoot it from underneath, dust your flat black till you get coverage. if you get a heavy spot, stop and let it flash and resume. Shouldn't be too hard, I painted industrial equipment for a bit, those things had hundreds of angles and hidden surfaces.

SG
True there is nothing like industrial equipment. But still you have to be carefull here as well. Good luck!

Get notified of new replies

To How do I paint this?

Quick Reply: How do I paint this?