Sanding sealer

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 07:16 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,631 Likes on 1,962 Posts

Default Sanding sealer

I started sealing some parts today with PPG MP 180 and had an operator error on the underside of the hood. Long story - fooled with the gun to cut the fan and fluid down for around the inside of the frame - glanced at the new fangled digital pressure gage and thought the pressure at the gun had increased to 45 psi - dialed it back - large paint droplets/orange peel - finally a couple sags - something not right -realized too late it was reading 4.5 psi - darn bifocals. Also some trash in the underside of the trunk lid I guess I didn't get blown completely out of a recess.

So, I've got some more sanding to do on these.

The P sheet says scuff and reseal after 72 hours. I may have to re-seal the hood after sanding but the trunk just needs a light sanding. Is there any problem with lightly sanding the trash out and going on to the color coat? Or do I need to re-seal?

Thanks
Old 11-09-2011, 08:36 PM
Spraygun
Tech Contributor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lightly sanding your sealer (800 dry) to knock dirt nibs off is ok as long as you topcoat within 72 hrs. After that the sealer cures too hard for topcoat to adhere. Keep in mind 72 hours is at 70 degrees, adjust accordingly for higher or lower temps.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:40 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,631 Likes on 1,962 Posts

Thanks. I need to be sure and do a mist coat first and stop fooling so much with the gun.

Although it's cool, would adding 5% reducer to the Sealer be a good idea to improve flow, along with concentrating on light coats? Or with the upper 60 deg I'm getting, just go with the 5:1 mix ratio?
Old 11-11-2011, 08:08 AM
Spraygun
Tech Contributor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't over reduce sealer, adjust your spray style to get a good even coat.

Get notified of new replies

To Sanding sealer

Quick Reply: Sanding sealer