Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Getting paint to match after front-end painting

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 05:38 PM
Kotlas
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting paint to match after front-end painting

Long story short I needed the front bumper cover replaced and repainted. The paint looks great! Like the car came off the factory line! Problem is my car is a 2002 with original Quicksilver paint.

When looking at the car in different light (sunlight, flashlight, night), my stock paint has a yellowish tint to it that differs from the new paint, which has a more clean metallic look to it. I'm sure this is due to the years of Florida sun.

I'm debating on whether to get it repainted or not. I want to try and see if I can clean up the stock paint before a reshoot so it doesn't mis-match later on if I get it detailed.

tl:dr: How can I restore the stock paint? I don't have any experience with paint/bodywork. Should I use a buffer or just take it to a pro and see how it turns out before I decide whether to repaint the front or not? Should I just repaint the whole car (last ditch option but it's there)?
Old 10-29-2011, 07:03 AM
Spraygun
Tech Contributor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I suggest taking your car to a pro for buffing.
The shop you choose can either tint the color to match your existing finish, or blend into front end.

Quick Reply: Getting paint to match after front-end painting